Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to attach plastic sheets

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered
in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind we
would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one hundred
percent waterproof. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"T Blake" wrote in message ...

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered
in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind we
would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one hundred
percent waterproof. Thanks.

Try these. Don't know if they have all of your answers, but with regards
sheeting you will find that too. Used to be just round the corner to me but
I believe they have moved off the Isle of Wight.

http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/14 10:27, T Blake wrote:
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered
in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London,

The internet.

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/polythene-covers.asp

so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer;

You won't glue polythene - the usual option is tape.

Plastic bags will be too weak as well - plastic comes in gauges - you'll
want something reasonable heavy.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

T Blake wrote:

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

I think you'd be better off finding a source of polythene sheet, rather
than gluing bags together, B&Q or Wickes sell various gauges. The
lightest dust sheet probably not strong enough and the heaviest (3mm
thick) probably overkill for a cloche ...

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In message , T Blake
writes
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered
in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind we
would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one hundred
percent waterproof. Thanks.

Get the right stuff delivered eg.

www.harrodhorticulural.com

I'm using blue poly for *fruit cage* netting but doubt it would be
sufficiently rigid for a walk in tunnel.

Metal frames overcook the plastic where they contact.

--
Tim Lamb

Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Please don't do that, unless you are very very lucky, with some sun and some
frost they crack up very quickly. Try to get some of the proper uv and frost
proof stuff as it is cheaper in the long run.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

T Blake wrote

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe,
covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the
allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London,

You must be able to get it there from those
that supply those that do greenhouses with it.

so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

That's mad.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together,

There isnt any way that works as well as starting with the right stuff.

and if glue is the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please?

No glue works very well.

Bearing in mind we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have
to be one hundred percent waterproof.

Best to start with the right stuff instead.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-01 09:27:20 +0000, T Blake said:

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe,
covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for
the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North
West London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic
bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue
is the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in
mind we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be
one hundred percent waterproof. Thanks.

Try looking here and on eBay. http://www.gumtree.com/for-sale/uk/polytunnel

Plastic bags won't last 5 minutes.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

T Blake wrote:

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London,

Uh, however did you find urg, if you're not ON the interwebbynet WITH
a search engine?

Poor quality troll, must try harder.

Janet

Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/06/2014 10:51, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 10:39:57 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 01/06/14 10:27, T Blake wrote:
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered
in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London,

The internet.

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/polythene-covers.asp

so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer;

You won't glue polythene - the usual option is tape.

Plastic bags will be too weak as well - plastic comes in gauges - you'll
want something reasonable heavy.

Do they make a polytunnel that is capable of surviving winter gales of Beaufort
9/10?

Professional ones usually will provided that the end doors are locked
down. Once wind gets in under the structure then you have trouble.

Neighbouring commercial greenhouse ones failed in a force 12. Probably
punctured by flying debris but noone was brave enough to go and see.
Pieces of corrugated iron sheet were airborne that night.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"T Blake" wrote in message
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe,
covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the
allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West
London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is
the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind
we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one
hundred percent waterproof. Thanks.

Plastic bags won't last two minutes.
It needs to be UV stabilised ploythene.
Polythene is joined with special clear tape for outdoor use.
"Visqueen" is a well known make. Lasts about 15 years.

Garden centre/nursery is your best bet.

Bit late now for cloches, the season is past. They have been taken off
now,
Using them now will cause overheating and drought conditions inside.
You have to have an arrangement so plants can be watered.
ie ability to lift the plastic or maybe soaker hose?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"T Blake" wrote in message ...
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe,

I'm pretty sure I remember Geoff Hamiton using the blue pipe
for cloches on "Gardeners' World". And you can see plenty being used
on allotments. However the blue stuff isn't UV resistant and will
grow brittle after a couple of years. Which may or may not matter
depending on whether its being moved about. The thinner white
stuff is more UV resistant but is more expensive. Although
this is from years ago.

covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West London, so
we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

Homebase do heavy duty plastic sheet

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...-3-x-4m-622898

michael adams

Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

T Blake wrote:

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North
West
London,

Uh, however did you find urg, if you're not ON the interwebbynet WITH
a search engine?

Poor quality troll, must try harder.

Janet

Thanks Janet. Judging by the 'quality' of your many posts, that comment
seems fairly typical; gin and tonic time was it?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-01 09:27:20 +0000, T Blake said:

[...]

Thanks to all. Sacha we are taking on board what people are advising. The
plastic bags we were thinking of in this instance are very large and a thick
guage plastic, a bit like council waste disposal bags, but we can see now
this was not the best way to tackle this.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-01 09:27:20 +0000, T Blake said:

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe,
covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for
the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North
West London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic
bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue
is the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in
mind we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be
one hundred percent waterproof. Thanks.

Try looking here and on eBay. http://www.gumtree.com/for-sale/uk/polytunnel

Plastic bags won't last 5 minutes.

If you can afford to buy one of the tunnels advertised, it could save
you hours of work and frustration which all comes to nothing. It will
certainly extend the range of plants you can grow and the length of
time it takes to grow them. But one major enemy of polytunnels is wind.
You need to have a sturdy frame for them and the edges of the plastic
sheeting need to be well buried in the soil either side to hold them
down. Here, trenches are dug either side of the tunnel for the
'overhang' to be buried in. And choose a totally windless day to
construct the thing, or you and the poly sheet could end up in the next
county! It might be worth your while looking on sites of nurseries
selling off stock as they - unfortunately - go out of business and/or
the owners retire.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com