Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Homebrew glyphosate gel?

On 17/06/14 11:51, Martin Brown wrote:

Use a broadleaf specific 2,4-D formulation in a wax crayon or Verdone.

It will kill broadleafs only in a lawn without any collateral damage -
at least if you follow the instructions.

And in the end....

I did not bother with the DIY mix.

I tried Roundup Gel and Verdone Extra spot spray.

Although the Verdone is expensive (used a bottle in short order) it
nukes the weed in about a week visibly and does not seem to burn the grass.

It's easy and low fuss to go around hitting individual weeds while
avoiding the wild flowers and clover I'm encouraging.

The Roundup is tedious to apply and so slow acting (more like 1-1.5
months) that I have no idea if I've killed a weed or not.

Looks like a bulk order of Verdone is in order. I'm not normally a fan
of chemicals but as it's spot applied I can live with that.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2014 12:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/06/14 11:51, Martin Brown wrote:

Use a broadleaf specific 2,4-D formulation in a wax crayon or Verdone.

It will kill broadleafs only in a lawn without any collateral damage -
at least if you follow the instructions.

And in the end....

I did not bother with the DIY mix.

I tried Roundup Gel and Verdone Extra spot spray.

Although the Verdone is expensive (used a bottle in short order) it
nukes the weed in about a week visibly and does not seem to burn the grass.

Buying it prediluted is expensive!

You want a bottle of the concentrate. That lasts me a couple of years or
more - though I really only persecute serious weeds like buttercup.
Clover and any low growing wildflowers are welcome.

It's easy and low fuss to go around hitting individual weeds while
avoiding the wild flowers and clover I'm encouraging.

The Roundup is tedious to apply and so slow acting (more like 1-1.5
months) that I have no idea if I've killed a weed or not.

Should be visible yellowing of new growth in about 2 weeks and dead in 3
with a characteristic glyphosate light orange-brown colour.

Paradoxically slightly overdiluting by 20-30% gets a better but slower
kill on pernicious weeds like groundelder and bindweed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-07-2014, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/14 09:41, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/07/2014 12:44, Tim Watts wrote:

Buying it prediluted is expensive!

You want a bottle of the concentrate. That lasts me a couple of years or
more - though I really only persecute serious weeds like buttercup.
Clover and any low growing wildflowers are welcome.

That sounds great - but what is the concentrate for Verdone Extra
called? It's not glyphosate.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2014 10:34, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/07/14 09:41, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/07/2014 12:44, Tim Watts wrote:

Buying it prediluted is expensive!

You want a bottle of the concentrate. That lasts me a couple of years or
more - though I really only persecute serious weeds like buttercup.
Clover and any low growing wildflowers are welcome.

That sounds great - but what is the concentrate for Verdone Extra
called? It's not glyphosate.

Verdone Extra size concentrate eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extr...=verdone+extra

Any decent garden centre or agricultural supplier should have it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/14 14:08, Martin Brown wrote:

Verdone Extra size concentrate eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdone-Extr...=verdone+extra

Any decent garden centre or agricultural supplier should have it.

LoL - I did not expect it to exist "by name" - I assumed I'd be looking
for a generic chemical name (like glyphosate).

Thanks - I just ordered some from that very link.

It appears to be a rate of 15ml concentrate to 1000ml water for spraying
- sound about right?

I still have the original spot spray so I can safely keep some mixed in
that.

Thanks!

Tim