Old 17-06-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Homebrew glyphosate gel?

Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

Old 17-06-2014, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc, the
next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

I would have thought wall paper paste a better bet but I have never done it!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 17-06-2014, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:55:27 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

Add gelatin powder to warm water until it's just too runny to stick.
It will get thicker when it cools down.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 17-06-2014, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

12" screwdriver down the side of the tap root is very satisfying for a
samll number of them. Not worth buying a special tool for it...

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Don't do it. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and you will
end up with big ugly dead brown patches. I knew someone who tried to do
the DIY spot weeder trick with "Pathclear" and it was the devils own job
to repopulate the damaged areas with grass again.

If you must do this then old wallpaper paste leftovers is OK.

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Use a broadleaf specific 2,4-D formulation in a wax crayon or Verdone.

It will kill broadleafs only in a lawn without any collateral damage -
at least if you follow the instructions.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-06-2014, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/14 11:51, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Thank you Martin (and Charlie, Stephen).

Wise words. I'll nip down the farmers centre and see what's on the shelves.

Old 17-06-2014, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 11:51, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/06/2014 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

12" screwdriver down the side of the tap root is very satisfying for a
samll number of them. Not worth buying a special tool for it...

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Don't do it. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and you will
end up with big ugly dead brown patches. I knew someone who tried to do
the DIY spot weeder trick with "Pathclear" and it was the devils own job
to repopulate the damaged areas with grass again.

It wasn't the glyphosate - it was the diflufenican (or whatever emergent
herbicide was in an older formulation). That, by design, hangs around
for months to kill anything emerging through the soil.

--

Jeff
Old 17-06-2014, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:
Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

Gey some cheap, extra gungy hair gel from Wilkinsons or a pound shop and
mix that with your glyphosate.

--

Jeff
Old 17-06-2014, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/14 15:31, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/06/2014 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:
Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

Gey some cheap, extra gungy hair gel from Wilkinsons or a pound shop and
mix that with your glyphosate.

Hey - not a bad idea!

Old 17-06-2014, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:
Time to spot weed my lawn to get rid a few big ugly weeds.

I have an industrial quantity of concentrated (not farmers superconc,
the next one down) generic glyphosate.

Any suggestions what would be a good admix to make it more like a gel to
paint on the leaves?

Washing up liquid/bubble bath comes to mind - but I just wondered if
anyone else has tried this...

Cheers

Tim

I make a very weak solution of wallpaper past into which I mid
Laboratory grave methaldahyde powder as a slug killer, this I squirt out
from a washing up liquid bottle to give me lines of methaldehyde which
isn't removed by rain.
I would think the same weak solution with glyphosate would work as a
spot weed killer, it has to be thin enough to run down the foliage you
spot treat.
Old 17-06-2014, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

I make a very weak solution of wallpaper past into which I mid Laboratory
grave methaldahyde powder as a slug killer, this I squirt out from a
washing up liquid bottle to give me lines of methaldehyde which isn't
removed by rain.
I would think the same weak solution with glyphosate would work as a spot
weed killer, it has to be thin enough to run down the foliage you spot
treat.

I use strongish glyc - just carefully applied with an artists soft brush.
Trouble with the gel method - it hangs around
getting to places where it is not wanted and the penetration is not very
good either.The paint brush technique also good on freshly reduced stems of
remaining stuff to be killed.

Pete

Old 17-06-2014, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/14 17:17, Peter & Jeanne wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

I make a very weak solution of wallpaper past into which I mid
Laboratory grave methaldahyde powder as a slug killer, this I squirt
out from a washing up liquid bottle to give me lines of methaldehyde
which isn't removed by rain.
I would think the same weak solution with glyphosate would work as a
spot weed killer, it has to be thin enough to run down the foliage you
spot treat.

I use strongish glyc - just carefully applied with an artists soft
brush. Trouble with the gel method - it hangs around
getting to places where it is not wanted and the penetration is not very
good either.The paint brush technique also good on freshly reduced stems of
remaining stuff to be killed.

Pete

Ah. Interesting. How strong would you say you mixed it relative to a
standard spray-on mix? My bottle is probably several times more
concentrated than the average garden centre stuff and I'm sure if I used
it neat it would burn the leaf off before getting all systemic on the
weed's ass
Old 17-06-2014, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Ah. Interesting. How strong would you say you mixed it relative to a
standard spray-on mix? My bottle is probably several times more
concentrated than the average garden centre stuff and I'm sure if I used it
neat it would burn the leaf off before getting all systemic on the weed's
ass

Well - I get it in concentrated (oil type viscosity) 5L containers (£
40c ). Most is diluted 80/40-1 for general surface spraying but for spot
use - I dilute it just enough
to give it increased penetration factor say 4-1 - does for those pesty ash
saplings etc just fine (:-)
You must apply it to a fresh cut to get maximum effect though.

Regards
Pete

Old 17-06-2014, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2014 17:36, Tim Watts wrote:

My bottle is probably several times more
concentrated than the average garden centre stuff

Probably not. According to Wikipedia, the strongest available solution
contains 68% glyphosate (eg Bayer Super Strength Glyphosate, which is a
soluble granule). You can buy a 36% solution of glyphosate for garden
use in any garden centre.

--

Jeff
Old 17-06-2014, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/14 18:45, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/06/2014 17:36, Tim Watts wrote:

My bottle is probably several times more
concentrated than the average garden centre stuff

Probably not. According to Wikipedia, the strongest available solution
contains 68% glyphosate (eg Bayer Super Strength Glyphosate, which is a
soluble granule). You can buy a 36% solution of glyphosate for garden
use in any garden centre.

I must check.

I nearly bought farmer's grade but it would have been a pain to dilute
and would have lasted me about 50 years.

I got the next strength down, 1 litre, that was rated as official OK for
domestic use and contained a little inbuilt measuring thingy.

Perhaps it isn't any stronger but it was a lot less per litre for sure.

Still going to last me a very long time
Old 18-06-2014, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I nearly bought farmer's grade but it would have been a pain to dilute and
would have lasted me about 50 years.

Pain much reduced when I take in to account the money saved with my
"farmers grade" !!!

Pete