Old 26-06-2014, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Driftwood Garden, East Sussex

We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and
great energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo.
There's a terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and
all done in the teeth of salt-laden winds.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-06-2014, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.
Old 26-06-2014, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

It sounds gorgeous. Did you take any pics?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-06-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 17:34, David Hill wrote:
On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.

This link gives a postcode, David.

http://www.geoffstonebanks.co.uk/

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-06-2014, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 17:59, Spider wrote:
On 26/06/2014 17:34, David Hill wrote:
On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.

This link gives a postcode, David.

http://www.geoffstonebanks.co.uk/

Thanks spider. I'm sure that in my day the houses hadn't even been built
there.
I'm talking about half a centuary ago
David @ a now damp side of Swansea Bay

Old 26-06-2014, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:34:25 +0000, David Hill said:

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.

There's a clue in the second sentence, David. ;-) East Sussex!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-06-2014, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:57:25 +0000, Spider said:

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

It sounds gorgeous. Did you take any pics?

Yes but they're very slow to upload, so I may have to wait until I get home.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-06-2014, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:34:25 +0000, David Hill said:

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.

There's a clue in the second sentence, David. ;-) East Sussex!

I know that Sacha, I lived in East Sussex for around 18 years so do have
some idea about the place but there are a lot of new "Attractions" but
communities are still in the same place so Spiders link has helped me
place the area it is in, Seaford I know.
I first went to Sissinghurst around 1953 and remember them planting the
White garden, or at least doing a lot of work on it. In those days it
was more of a domestic garden.
As for Great Dixter, I visited at least twice, it was when Christopher's
mother was alive and very much in charge, we went to see the house much
more than the garden which at that time was nothing to write home about.
She was far more keen to show us the tapestry chair seats and backs that
her children had made. That would have been around 1960 -62.
You may find this of interest
http://www.greatdixter.co.uk/about/h...-lloyd-family/
David @ a damp side of Swansea bay
Old 26-06-2014, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:57:25 +0000, Spider said:

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

It sounds gorgeous. Did you take any pics?

Yes but they're very slow to upload, so I may have to wait until I get
home.

That's fine, Sacha, I can wait. You mustn't spend your entire holiday
on urg! :~))

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-06-2014, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2014 08:04, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:59:13 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 26/06/2014 17:34, David Hill wrote:
On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

But you don't say where it is Sacha.

This link gives a postcode, David.

http://www.geoffstonebanks.co.uk/

It also says it is in Seaford, which is near Newhaven.

Thank you Martin, I saw that, but my point was that Sacha just said East
Sussex which is quite a large area.
Not quite as hard as finding a specific Mr D Jones in Wales.

Old 27-06-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-27 07:50:39 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

I didn't think to put in the web site because there's only one
Drfitwood Garden in E. Sussex - mea culpa. Blame it on holiday brain!

Old 27-06-2014, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:34:25 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

We didn't go into the house because we spent so long in the garden, so
thank you for that link, David. It was quite surprisingly busy for a
mid-week day too and we felt the house would be really crowded by the
time we left. We visited the Nursery area - naturally - and bought a
few things. I think we both feel that without the buildings, which are
extremely beautiful, Sissinghurst garden would be very ordinary. It
lacks the personal touch that a personally made garden needs, we felt.
I'd like to go to Gt. Dixter again in a year or so, perhaps in spring.
I particularly like the fact that a lot of it is meadow and provides a
lovely, naturalistic setting for the managed garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-06-2014, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2014 10:33, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:50:39 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

I understood David. I was going to ask the same question. I was replying to
Spider. I find it hard to think in postcodes.

And I was pleased to give a postcode because I thought it would help
David (and his Satnav) find exactly where it was, just in case he wished
to visit.

Not quite as hard as finding a specific Mr D Jones in Wales.

:-)

We used to have a Smith and Jones who shared an office.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-06-2014, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 18:41, David Hill wrote:
[...]

The way houses are going up at the moment, it's good to know there is
still place for a special garden. It's amazing how much my old local
village has changed. I suppose it's progress, but it doesn't always
feel like that.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-06-2014, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2014 14:24, Spider wrote:
And I was pleased to give a postcode because I thought it would help
David (and his Satnav) find exactly where it was, just in case he wished
to visit.

Satnav !!!!!!!
Wash your mouth out.

I'm a map person.
Preferably OS maps which I read like a book.