Old 30-06-2014, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Driftwood Garden, East Sussex

On 29/06/2014 22:26, Martin wrote:

On 2014-06-28 11:11:20 +0000, Spider said:

On 28/06/2014 00:44, David Hill wrote:
On 27/06/2014 22:23, Spider wrote:
On 27/06/2014 15:00, David Hill wrote:
On 27/06/2014 14:24, Spider wrote:
And I was pleased to give a postcode because I thought it would help
David (and his Satnav) find exactly where it was, just in case he
wished
to visit.

Satnav !!!!!!!
Wash your mouth out.

Yup. Just finished a pint of tea.

I'm a map person.
Preferably OS maps which I read like a book.

Yes, I like mysteries, too! ;~)

You get them from cheap maps and more often from on line route planners

Too right! You're talking to someone who, when asked "how far is it
to the next turn off?", answered "Half an inch" !! Well, I didn't
know if it was 3 or 5 inches to the mile because the map have been
folded to a show a specific area, so I gave the only measurement I
could. That's my excuse and I'm glued to it.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I did almost exactly that just yesterday!

Thank you, Sacha! I thought it was reasonable, too, but RG has dined
out on it a few times already. Apparently, many people fail to see the
reason in it. It doesn't help that I'm blonde, old, over the hill and
far away :~}.

So that's where you really were.
At least you didn't buy a road atlas with maps printed with both north at the
top and north at the bottom, for out going and return journeys. It isn't clear
how those going from east to west or west to east are supposed to use it.

Martin ... what's 'east' and 'west'? ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 30-06-2014, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-28 11:11:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

That's left and right, or right and left depending on which way you are
looking.

On 2014-06-28 11:11:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Like 'Port' or 'Starboard' for the landlubbers!!

Mike

On 2014-06-28 11:11:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Right. Thanks, David. All that's left is for me to go to bed. Thank
goodness I don't need a map for that!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 16:57:25 +0000, Spider said:

On 26/06/2014 16:33, sacha wrote:
We saw this yesterday afternoon and hugely enjoyed seeing it because it
is the most terrific example of what can be done with the average-sized
garden. If you get to East Sussex, visit Driftwood Garden on one of
their many Open Days for the NGS. It's the most staggering and
inspirational garden to show what can be achieved without possessing
rolling acres but having an eye, imagination, a love of plants and great
energy and enthusiasm. This is a real 'must see' garden, ioo. There's a
terrific range of plants, not an inch of wasted ground and all done in
the teeth of salt-laden winds.

It sounds gorgeous. Did you take any pics?

Yes but they're very slow to upload, so I may have to wait until I get home.

Spider, I've just checked my iPhone and I didn't take photos at
Driftwood! Too busy gawping and chatting, I suppose. But there's a web
site with loads of photos. Geoffrey takes some almost every day:
http://www.geoffstonebanks.co.uk/images.html They're a lot better
than anything I could do, anyhow. From where you live, would this be a
long drive? The garden is open about 18 times a year, I think he said,
so there are lots of dates to choose from. Others are sometimes open at
the same time in that area. He has artists' days also and altogether,
they've raised something like £38,000 for charity in about 5
years.http://www.geoffstonebanks.co.uk/events.html
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-28 11:11:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Left and right unless you have an upside down map :-)

Apparently, that's not allowed ... that's what blondes do ... oops! :~)

Did you know there is a large spider called "le blonde"?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Did you know there is a large spider called "le blonde"?

I doubt it, somehow. Le blond or la blonde, perhaps :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2014 09:31, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 22:57:30 +0100, Spider wrote:

Apparently, that's not allowed ... that's what blondes do ... oops! :~)

Did you know there is a large spider called "le blond"?

It eats birds.

Martins, I expect.

--
Sue

Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/07/2014 23:03, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Did you know there is a large spider called "le blonde"?

I doubt it, somehow. Le blond or la blonde, perhaps :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Quite so :~). Thinking on it a bit longer, I recall it was named after
a Monsieur Le Blond, so I think the spider is actually called Le Blondi,
allowing for a degree of Latinese. Huge spider, though. Lovely.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London