Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Success at last!

We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2014 23:16, Sacha wrote:
We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

I think so. It is a member of the Magnolia family, after all. 20 years
isn't too bad - it could have taken after M. campbellii!

--

Jeff
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 23:16:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

Mum planted a tulip tree in my previous garden about 30 years ago. It
flowered once when it got to about 10' high. It was about 20' high
when I moved house but has not flowered again.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 06:48:27 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 03/07/2014 23:16, Sacha wrote:
We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

I think so. It is a member of the Magnolia family, after all. 20
years isn't too bad - it could have taken after M. campbellii!

The irony of that is that Ray planted that Magnolia about 18 or so
years ago and it started flowering about 8 years ago!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

Mum planted a tulip tree in my previous garden about 30 years ago. It
flowered once when it got to about 10' high. It was about 20' high
when I moved house but has not flowered again.

Steve

Oh no! I hope ours doesn't follow suit. That's very sad!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 23:16:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20 years
ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

Congratulations! Ours is about the same size and age, and only started a
couple of years ago. I think it had been at it for a few years but there
were so few, and they're a bit discreet, that we hadn't noticed. This
year there are dozens high in the tree, and even one right at eye level!

I know how you feel though it seemed as though it would never get around
to it! (I once met Henny Youngman, he asked me if I had ever gotten
around to it; when I looked puzzled he handed me a wooden coin inscribed
"tuit." I think I still have it).

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 13:17:08 +0000, Emery Davis said:

[...]

Lol! I was given a 'tuit' by someone who used to work for me. It was
horribly apt! Matthew (Ray's son & partner) says he thinks he saw a
couple of flowers last year but forgot to mention it... Sigh...
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 06:48:27 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 03/07/2014 23:16, Sacha wrote:
We did an evening tour of the garden and walking up the nursery path,
Raymond glanced at the Liriodendron tulipifera he planted about 20
years ago, maybe more and let out a yell. For the first time ever, it's
flowered! We counted about a dozen blooms on it. It's only waited until
it's around 35' tall! Do they usually take so long to flower?

I think so. It is a member of the Magnolia family, after all. 20
years isn't too bad - it could have taken after M. campbellii!

The irony of that is that Ray planted that Magnolia about 18 or so
years ago and it started flowering about 8 years ago!

Are you sure that it is straight M. campbellii? According to Hillier,
M. campbellii subsp mollicomata flowers earlier - "sometimes within 10 -
15 years". There are also hybrids between M. campbellii subsp
campbellii and M. campbellii subsp mollicomata (raised at Sidbury in
Devon) which also flower earlier than M. campbellii.

--

Jeff
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 06:48:27 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

I'm not sure, no but will ask Ray if he rememers which he planted.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 06:48:27 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Well, I did and he's as sure as he can be that it's straight M.
Campbellii. He was given it as a seedling from a tree on the Delamore
estate. That tree was at least 100 years old, apparently.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Success at last! Sacha United Kingdom 11 06-11-2007 03:38 PM
chitting potatoes how long do last last ?? Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 26-04-2006 05:48 PM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Visit to India & Success in returning with Orchids! doug houseman Orchids 1 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM