Old 18-07-2014, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet another What is it?

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.
Old 18-07-2014, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-18 18:12:54 +0000, David Hill said:

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.

It's very beautiful whatever it is. It sent me looking at Thunbergias
but I can't see one with those fringed petals and the little spur at
the top. But it's along those lines.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-07-2014, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-18 18:12:54 +0000, David Hill said:

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.

It's very beautiful whatever it is. It sent me looking at Thunbergias
but I can't see one with those fringed petals and the little spur at the
top. But it's along those lines.

It's definitely not a climber
Old 18-07-2014, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

I've seen something like that, Mimulus springs to mind.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-07-2014, 06:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-18 22:38:09 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

I've seen something like that, Mimulus springs to mind.

Yes, very similar.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-07-2014, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2014 19:12, David Hill wrote:
Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.

Reminiscent of mimulus or a species gloxinia, but it probably isn't
either. Was it in the indoor plant section, or outside?

--

Jeff
Old 19-07-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Or Streptocarpus? http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/tablem.html
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-07-2014, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-19 06:48:42 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 18/07/2014 19:12, David Hill wrote:
Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.

Reminiscent of mimulus or a species gloxinia, but it probably isn't
either. Was it in the indoor plant section, or outside?

Or Streptocarpus? http://www.streptocarpus-info.com/tablem.html

Thanks for all the ideas, though they are all a way off
this is the whole plant, bearing in mind it came from "Reduced" plants
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7eaf54fe.jpg

After a lot more searching I at last found it
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...ual/angelonia/
A new one to me
David @ a still rain and thunder free side of Swansea Bay
Old 19-07-2014, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-19 06:48:42 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

And very pretty it is. How you tracked it down, heaven knows!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-07-2014, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-19 06:48:42 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

To be honest nor do I , I tried following leads and searching plants
from different countries, different wholesalers here and in Europe.
Tried a google search that tries to match your picture with google pictures.
When you open a google search click on images, the search box then shows
a camera, click on that and carry on from there.
It didn't find it.

Old 20-07-2014, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-19 13:45:12 +0000, David Hill said:

On 19/07/2014 10:43, Sacha wrote:
snip

After a lot more searching I at last found it
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...ual/angelonia/
A new one to me
David @ a still rain and thunder free side of Swansea Bay

And very pretty it is. How you tracked it down, heaven knows!

To be honest nor do I , I tried following leads and searching plants
from different countries, different wholesalers here and in Europe.
Tried a google search that tries to match your picture with google pictures.
When you open a google search click on images, the search box then
shows a camera, click on that and carry on from there.
It didn't find it.

It bore a close resemblance to some of the Polish Streptocarpus so I'm
grateful that I was introduced to those!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-07-2014, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-18 18:12:54 +0000, David Hill said:

Came across this today, no name and no one knew it.
Bar code on the pot didn't read at the till.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2fe523bc.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psadfcbcc5.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb0234c6.jpg

David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay where it feels a bit fresher.

It's very beautiful whatever it is. It sent me looking at Thunbergias
but I can't see one with those fringed petals and the little spur at the
top. But it's along those lines.

It's definitely not a climber

Not all thunbergia are climbers but the flower is wrong anyway! mimulus
maybe I don't have any Prostanthera to hand to compare but that's a maybe?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs