Old 30-07-2014, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pouring old tea into the garden?

We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

Thanks!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-07-2014, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

Thanks!

-E

We gave up on putting tea bags in the compost as the bags don't break down.
As for the old tea, no isea, ours goes down the sink.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 30th July 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 30-07-2014, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

It does no harm. It will be mainly tannins and things like that,
and soil bacteria is well accustomed to those. It won't add much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2014, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jul 2014 12:00:26 GMT, Emery Davis
wrote:

We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

Thanks!

-E

The tea won't do any harm but the bags make a mess of the compost.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 30-07-2014, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:42:08 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The tea won't do any harm but the bags make a mess of the compost.

How so mess? I've never seen bags in the compost, so I assume they
compost well.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-07-2014, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jul 2014 15:20:00 GMT, Emery Davis
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:42:08 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The tea won't do any harm but the bags make a mess of the compost.

How so mess? I've never seen bags in the compost, so I assume they
compost well.

I think it must be brand related. Some tea bags don't rot away.

Steve

Old 30-07-2014, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2014 13:00, Emery Davis wrote:
We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

Thanks!

Good for ericaceous plants in pots. After all, it's just Camellia
sinensis leaves. And black tea leaves are partially fermented anyway, so
they are part way to being composted (some tea I've had would lead me to
the conclusion that they have been fully composted...).

The pH of tea is on the acid side, according to various sources -
anything from 4.9 to over 6, but it would probably depend on the pH of
the water used to make the tea.

--

Jeff
Old 30-07-2014, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/07/2014 13:00, Emery Davis wrote:
We're wondering if there's any benefit to this. We have a teasmade which
the wife prepares with a typhoo tea bag for the morning cuppa. The bag
goes in the compost, but there's always a little strong tea left in the
bottom of the pot. The other day I observed her throwing this into the
front garden, assuming (like coffee grounds which we throw in directly
sometimes) it would be of some benefit.

What's the assembled wisdom? Should old tea be poured directly into the
garden?

Good for ericaceous plants in pots. After all, it's just Camellia
sinensis leaves. And black tea leaves are partially fermented anyway, so
they are part way to being composted (some tea I've had would lead me to
the conclusion that they have been fully composted...).

And some that would have been better to be composted :-)

The pH of tea is on the acid side, according to various sources -
anything from 4.9 to over 6, but it would probably depend on the pH of
the water used to make the tea.

Tannic and humic acids, I would guess.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

The tea won't do any harm but the bags make a mess of the compost.

Not IME.. they are indistinguishable by the time the heap is full and
gets turned.

Janet

Old 30-07-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

If you had even been to a tea plantation where they make the leaves into
what we use you might understand why they smell as if composted, it's a
disgusting smell, like an over wet compost heap.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-07-2014, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

I remember in the old days people pouring tea/tea leaves around
their hydrangea plants to turn the flowers from pink to blue
(or was it blue to pink!).

Pink to blue.

I have no problem composting tea bags, have done so for years,
but I also use a 2 year cycle of compost, so they have plenty
of time. Not noticed any in the autumn when I turn the current
compost over into the next container. Foe what its worth, we
usually use Tesco premium tea!

I have the same experience, though I drink leaf tea, and the
number of tea bags is small. Some brands may use nasty fabric
for the bag, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jul 2014 15:20:00 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:42:08 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The tea won't do any harm but the bags make a mess of the compost.

How so mess? I've never seen bags in the compost, so I assume they
compost well.

I have put tea-bags in my wormery and they have been the last thing left - with
tomato skins - when everything else has composted/been eaten.

Old 31-07-2014, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2014 18:32, Bob Hobden wrote:

If you had even been to a tea plantation where they make the leaves into
what we use you might understand why they smell as if composted, it's a
disgusting smell, like an over wet compost heap.

Too much information...

--

Jeff