Old 12-09-2014, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default when to best prune hyssop

Hi,

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to cut
it back hard?

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to cut
it back hard?

That's a big one! Any time from now until spring.

I can't keep any of those Mediterranean woody labiates going very
long, because they all die from root-rot. It's generally a good
idea to renew them regularly, and layering works well. But whether
'not very long' is 5 years or 50 is entirely dependent on the
conditions. I should do better, with well-drained soil, but I
don't - and I am pretty sure that it's some unidentified fungus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:19:00 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to
cut it back hard?

That's a big one! Any time from now until spring.

Great, thanks!

I can't keep any of those Mediterranean woody labiates going very long,
because they all die from root-rot. It's generally a good idea to renew
them regularly, and layering works well. But whether 'not very long' is
5 years or 50 is entirely dependent on the conditions. I should do
better, with well-drained soil, but I don't - and I am pretty sure that
it's some unidentified fungus.

I don't doubt it. I've tried hyssop many times in the ground, even in
very dry and well drained soil with just the results you describe. But
this one is in a "wall", sort of a low stone barrier that's hollow in the
middle, and it dries out in about 5 minutes. Mostly I have sedums,
mexican fleabane, thymes growing in it. The hyssop loves it, but I do
have to water in high summer (well except for this year).

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Emery Davis wrote:

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to cut
it back hard?

That's a big one! Any time from now until spring.

I can't keep any of those Mediterranean woody labiates going very
long, because they all die from root-rot. It's generally a good
idea to renew them regularly, and layering works well. But whether
'not very long' is 5 years or 50 is entirely dependent on the
conditions. I should do better, with well-drained soil, but I
don't - and I am pretty sure that it's some unidentified fungus.

It's funny you should mention that but we can't seem to get Sage to grow on
our allotment. Grows for a year or so, even flowers well, and then just dies
back, does not seem to make any difference if it's in a pot or in the
ground. Yet 3 allotments along they have three large plants which have been
there for years. I'll have to ask for some cuttings and try them.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 10:00:32 +0000, Emery Davis wrote:

Hi,

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to
cut it back hard?

-E

Whenever you have sinned and feel in need of repentance, I would have
thought.

Is Hyssop "butterfly bush"? \Fragile Warrior\ Volfie Gardening 44 11-06-2005 03:01 PM
Hyssop invasive? Michael Gardening 6 25-05-2005 03:10 PM
tomatoes: to prune or not to prune Stephen Younge Gardening 4 24-07-2003 03:42 PM
water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 8 23-05-2003 07:08 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM