Old 05-06-2005, 04:41 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

Default Is Hyssop "butterfly bush"?

Okay, I need help. I went to the nursery and bought all sorts of perennials
that are good for butterflies and hummingbirds and bees.

I usually make sure I have an identification spike in each pot because I'll
get home and not be able to remember what I bought. So guess what happened?
No spike in two (identical plant) pots and I can't remember what they were.
HOWEVER, I did get a name tag, "Blue Fortune" and when I tried to look that
up on the 'net I came up with Anise Hyssop "Blue Fortune". Anise Hyssop
doesn't ring a bell. I thought I had looked at butterfly bushes and I
didn't come home with any. Could this Anise Hyssop, which is supposed to be
loved by butterflies, be the butterfly bush I meant to buy?

If not, can anyone relate the name "Blue Fortune" to Bee Balm or
Coneflowers?

Thanks.
Giselle

Old 05-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Doug Kanter

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message
[...]

Butterfly bush is Buddleia, not hyssop. As far as "blue fortune", do a
google search with quotation marks around the two words. That forces the
search to use that exact phrase, as opposed to any occurrence of the two
words. I just did. You'll like the results.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:47 PM

The stem of the anise hyssop will be square ( mint family)
Leaves will ave a nice liquorice flavor and scent when rubbed.
Butterfly bush is something else usually Buddelia davidii

Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Butterfly bush is Buddleia, not hyssop. As far as "blue fortune", do a
google search with quotation marks around the two words. That forces the
search to use that exact phrase, as opposed to any occurrence of the two
words. I just did. You'll like the results.

I do like the plant but I'm still confused. Is there a common name for
this? I went to get old favorites and this is nothing I've ever heard of
before under that name.

Maybe I just grabbed two totally misplaced plants??

Giselle

Old 06-06-2005, 02:31 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

wrote in message
oups.com...
The stem of the anise hyssop will be square ( mint family)
Leaves will ave a nice liquorice flavor and scent when rubbed.

Yep, that's it.

I still can't figure out how I got it (or why) but I'm going to write it off
as a happy accident. It certainly looks like a plant I would enjoy.

Giselle (THX all)

Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM

It self sows nicely, feeds bumblebees and skipper butterflies, makes a
nice addition to iced tea. Supposed to be a good honeybee plant but
mine tend to ignore it, might be something better blooming at the same
time.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

wrote in message
oups.com...
It self sows nicely, feeds bumblebees and skipper butterflies, makes a
nice addition to iced tea. Supposed to be a good honeybee plant but
mine tend to ignore it, might be something better blooming at the same
time.

Great. I need indestructable plants. So far only my mints are thriving
nicely. Everything else seems to be a struggle here. (Central Indiana in
mostly clay soil that tends to either be bone dry or have a water table
that's 1/8" below the surface.)

I can't wait to see it bloom now.

Giselle

Old 07-06-2005, 06:25 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
It self sows nicely, feeds bumblebees and skipper butterflies, makes a
nice addition to iced tea. Supposed to be a good honeybee plant but
mine tend to ignore it, might be something better blooming at the same
time.

Great. I need indestructable plants. So far only my mints are thriving
nicely. Everything else seems to be a struggle here. (Central Indiana in
mostly clay soil that tends to either be bone dry or have a water table
that's 1/8" below the surface.)

I can't wait to see it bloom now.

Giselle

Well, here's a sad follow-up: my niece's husband mowed down all my
wildflowers yesterday. The ones I started from seed by hauling buckets of
water up from the pond to keep them moist while they were germinating. The
ones that were just getting buds on them. And the ones I bought from the
greenhouse that we've been discussing. Apparently, being a lover of annuals
bought at Walmart, if he doesn't see petunias and impatients, he just mows
it all down.

Oh, yeah, he even zig-zagged over and got my rhubarb. AND he threw some
rocks (that were marking the wildflower boundries) over into the established
garden and crushed my iris' that haven't bloomed yet.

Giselle (I guess I must have ****ed Mr. Passive-Aggresive off about
something )

Old 07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Doug Kanter

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You do know that such a crime is punishable by death, right?

Old 07-06-2005, 06:55 PM

What you need is pieces of pipe painted green that stick up about an
inch above the mown height of the grass as plant markers. I used old
jackhammer bits to mark some things near the edge of my property after
informing the neighbors lawn service that he had run over my horse
radish, bee balm, and blueberries.
The second time he ran over my stuff ate an 18 hp mower , there has
been no third time.
Wire coat hangers are an interesting thing too.

"Fragile Warrior" Volfie wrote:
""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old 07-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Doug Kanter

I like this idea a lot. You're a sick person, but in a good way. :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
What you need is pieces of pipe painted green that stick up about an
inch above the mown height of the grass as plant markers. I used old
jackhammer bits to mark some things near the edge of my property after
informing the neighbors lawn service that he had run over my horse
radish, bee balm, and blueberries.
The second time he ran over my stuff ate an 18 hp mower , there has
been no third time.
Wire coat hangers are an interesting thing too.

"Fragile Warrior" Volfie wrote:
""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's crossed my mind. Maybe after I stop crying...

Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

wrote in message
oups.com...
What you need is pieces of pipe painted green that stick up about an
inch above the mown height of the grass as plant markers. I used old
jackhammer bits to mark some things near the edge of my property after
informing the neighbors lawn service that he had run over my horse
radish, bee balm, and blueberries.
The second time he ran over my stuff ate an 18 hp mower , there has
been no third time.
Wire coat hangers are an interesting thing too.

How about live 220 lines *very* shallowly buried?

Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
presley

This is very sad. Almost like the time I came home to find that one of my
sister's friends, thinking that she was helping me, had carefully weeded out
of my garden EVERY single oriental poppy - on the premise that she thought
they were dandelions.
One consolation is that many wildlowers are tough *******s, and will back
up after a mowing. They will bloom in August now, instead of at the end of
June, but oh well, sometimes there's not much color in the garden at that
time anyway.
And yes, a few strategic "impediments" to the mower will work
wonders........
""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

""Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old 08-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Hemmaholic

Giselle,

Where in Central Indiana are you? I also live in "Central Indiana",
about 25 mile NW of Indy and I have a few small "Butterfly Bush"
Budleia plants I started from cuttings last fall. I really do not have
a place to put them all and you are welcome to a few of them. I have,
simply put, dark purple, pink and pale lavender rooted cuttings. If
you're interested, email me at

Hemma

PS

Ever notice how quickly the "water table" drops after a day of no rain
or water!

[IMG] code is On

when to best prune hyssop Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 4 12-09-2014 10:21 PM
Hyssop invasive? Michael Gardening 6 25-05-2005 03:10 PM
water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 8 23-05-2003 07:08 PM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM