Old 24-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Michael

Default Hyssop invasive?

I see this a member of the mint family....if I even hear the word mint.....I
think of an invasive plant.

Is it?

A: as bad as mint?
B: not nearly?
C: not at all?

THANKS

Old 24-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Vox Humana

"Michael" wrote in message
I see this a member of the mint family....if I even hear the word

mint.....I
think of an invasive plant.

Is it?

A: as bad as mint?
B: not nearly?
C: not at all?

Mine hasn't been invasive. It tends to form slowly growing clumps rather
than aggressive root runners like spearmint. The only issue is that it
produces lots of seeds and they tend to germinate at a rather high rate.
That said, the seedlings are very easy to kill by simply cultivating the
soil when you see them sprout. I started some from seed about 5 years ago
and they did really well. Unfortunately, they seem to have died off this
winter. I only have a few left, so I am letting the seedling mature and
will thin them later. I always leave the seed heads alone for winter
interest and wildlife food. If you removed the flowers before they set
seed, you would eliminate the issue.

Old 25-05-2005, 12:15 AM
paghat

In article , "Michael"
wrote:

I see this a member of the mint family....if I even hear the word mint.....I
think of an invasive plant.

Is it?

A: as bad as mint?
B: not nearly?
C: not at all?

THANKS

I have several hyssops including Agastache rugosa, Hysoppus officinalis
'Nana', Agastache foeniculum x rugosa 'Blue Fortune', & Agastache
foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee' which have perennialized wonderfully, are
long-flowering throughout summer, form healthy good-looking clumps, but
are not the least bit invasive, if anything kind of slow-growing.

Some other & rather sage-like hybrid hyssops like 'Apricot Surprise' 'Pink
Panther' tend to be defacto annuals on Puget Sound but in places without
such wet seasons they'd seed all over the place, but I don't think
invasively.
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 25-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Vox Humana

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Michael"
wrote:

I have several hyssops including Agastache rugosa, Hysoppus officinalis
'Nana', Agastache foeniculum x rugosa 'Blue Fortune', & Agastache
foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee' which have perennialized wonderfully, are
long-flowering throughout summer, form healthy good-looking clumps, but
are not the least bit invasive, if anything kind of slow-growing.

Some other & rather sage-like hybrid hyssops like 'Apricot Surprise' 'Pink
Panther' tend to be defacto annuals on Puget Sound but in places without
such wet seasons they'd seed all over the place, but I don't think
invasively.
--

Would you say that they are short-lived perennials? Mine did great for
several years, but didn't come back this spring. I had Agastache foeniculum

Old 25-05-2005, 02:27 AM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Michael"
wrote:

I have several hyssops including Agastache rugosa, Hysoppus officinalis
'Nana', Agastache foeniculum x rugosa 'Blue Fortune', & Agastache
foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee' which have perennialized wonderfully, are
long-flowering throughout summer, form healthy good-looking clumps, but
are not the least bit invasive, if anything kind of slow-growing.

Some other & rather sage-like hybrid hyssops like 'Apricot Surprise' 'Pink
Panther' tend to be defacto annuals on Puget Sound but in places without
such wet seasons they'd seed all over the place, but I don't think
invasively.
--

Would you say that they are short-lived perennials? Mine did great for
several years, but didn't come back this spring. I had Agastache foeniculum
'Licorice Blue'

No, I'd say A. foeniculum & A. rugosa are notably long-lived, but they are
always at some risk if they experience an unusually wet season, especially
in winter.

-paggers

Old 25-05-2005, 08:01 AM
presley

My agastache foeniculum disappears every winter and reappears as a few
chance seedlings only in the immediate vicinity. It grows quickly in the
heat of the summer and flowers from about mid-July on here - (zone 5/6,
inland Northwest). I would not describe it as invasive - and self-sows much
less abundantly than, say, cosmos, california poppies. or alyssum.
"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Michael" wrote in message
I see this a member of the mint family....if I even hear the word

mint.....I
think of an invasive plant.

Is it?

A: as bad as mint?

Old 25-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Vox Humana

"presley" wrote in message
My agastache foeniculum disappears every winter and reappears as a few
chance seedlings only in the immediate vicinity. It grows quickly in the
heat of the summer and flowers from about mid-July on here - (zone 5/6,
inland Northwest). I would not describe it as invasive - and self-sows

much
less abundantly than, say, cosmos, california poppies. or alyssum.

Interesting. I'm in zone 6 and mine formed very tough clumps that persisted
for at least 5 years. The bed around them was (and is this year) covered
with thousands of seedlings - not just a few.