Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cymbidium success

On 09/12/2014 18:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote in
Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get
some orchid compost. time to shop around.

I've bought sacks of bark (course and fine) from these people before...
http://www.ratcliffeorchids.co.uk/Pages/trial.aspx

Thanks Bob,
Just realized Burnham nurseries are quite close to Sacha and we are down
that way in the next few days so I might try them first as there will be
no carriage cost if I pick it up.
David
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote in
Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get
some orchid compost. time to shop around.

I've bought sacks of bark (course and fine) from these people before...
http://www.ratcliffeorchids.co.uk/Pages/trial.aspx

Thanks Bob,
Just realized Burnham nurseries are quite close to Sacha and we are down
that way in the next few days so I might try them first as there will be no
carriage cost if I pick it up.

Two things about that, ..
1. Don't take your bank cards with you or you will dent them. :-)
2. Phone to make sure they have what you need in stock before you travel.

Sue and I drove out to Radcliffes and picked them up, made a day out in the
beloved Hampshire of her birth.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/12/2014 18:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote in
Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get some
orchid compost. time to shop around.

I've bought sacks of bark (course and fine) from these people before...
http://www.ratcliffeorchids.co.uk/Pages/trial.aspx

Thanks for that link, Bob - I had no idea there was an orchid nursery
near me (only about 8 miles away ATCF). Some interesting plants there.

Have you tried growing orchids in pretty ordinary compost? I think that
I've posted before that I use ericaceous JI with pieces of old oasis for
a few Phals and one Paph. They seem to grow ok. I thought I was doing
something a bit off-the-wall, but I note that Ratcliffe's sell "Chopped
horticultural foam"!

--

Jeff
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Not sure they expect visitors but they certainly didn't have a problem when
I asked to collect. Not the easiest place to find, looks like you are
driving into someone's drive!

My Pliones I grow in a 50/50 mix of fine bark chippings and multipurpose (as
much peat at poss, sorry) compost, they grow outside all year but are
covered in winter to protect them from the wet. Of course my Dactylorhiza
grow in normal garden soil.
Paphiopedilums and Phragmipediums are mainly terrestrial orchids so should
be OK in a finer potting mix as long as, for the former, it is free draining
and they don't stay wet at the roots, moist is OK wet is not. Phrags like it
wet when growing from recent articles I've read.
I think you may have a problem with the epiphitic orchids like Phalaenopsis
which still demand excellent drainage even though they have been well and
truly domesticated.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/2014 08:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Oddly enough, I have no problem with the Phals - I've been using the
"oasis compost" with them for about 6 years, They don't like being
repotted, and sulk for a year, but after that flower well. The Paph is
ok, but I did lose one part of it when I stupidly left it standing in
water for a couple of days. Luckily the rest of the plant survived and
has just flowered.

--

Jeff

Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/12/2014 17:03, David wrote:
On 06/12/2014 17:11, Spider wrote:
On 06/12/2014 15:43, Pam Moore wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:11:16 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 03/12/2014 10:22, Pam Moore wrote:
I have related before the story of my cymbidium which I've had for
over 15 years, which never flowered after the initial flower when I
bought it. 3 years ago it was so big that I split it into 5 and gave 4
away. All of those 4 flowered the last 2 years but mine did not.
I NOW HAVE A BUD COMING!
Can't say if it was following Bob's advice or just luck, but my
patience has paid off!
Pam near Bristol

Well done, Pam! I just know you're going to really enjoy those
flowers.

Thanks Spider. It really is exciting to have a flower after all these
years. When I rescued it from my Mother's house at keast 15 years ago
it had only about 4 leaves and looked at death's door. Now it is huge
and 4 friends have flowerint pieces too.
Of my 5 phals 3 are in flower or bud and one has a new plant at the
base.

Keep up the good work!. You've obviously got the knack, and enough
patience to shame a saint.

Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get some
orchid compost. time to shop around.
David @ a wet side of Swansea Bay

I had a bad batch of orchid compost a couple of years ago and lost a
couple of plants before I realised what was wrong. The compost tended
to drain poorly, even though it was exactly the same type I'd previously
used with success, so I'm much more wary these days. I sometimes buy a
bag of bulb compost (light mix, free draining and 'sweetened' with
charcoal, usually) to mix with the proprietory orchid compost, and this
has worked well. It mixes well with the bark, allowing the roots
contact with the compost, but doesn't impede drainage.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-09 23:05:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I've offered to go and get the compost for him because they're only
about 15 minutes from here but I suspect he might like to have a good
look around their lovely stock! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-09 23:05:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Quite. I've been there. I didn't come away empty-handed! :~) Well
worth a look.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-12-2014, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-09 23:05:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

It's like a rather large and sumptuous jewel box!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-09 23:05:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

So that's why you offered to pick up the compost for me is it?
I know you were just trying to save me spending to much money.
See you soon
David

Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-09 23:05:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

It was good to see you and your Chief Executive! Hope you've reached
your destination safely and have a wonderful and well-deserved break.
I gave my orchids a prolonged drink and feed tonight, courtesy of
instructions by their Uncle David!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-12-2014, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get some
orchid compost. time to shop around.
David @ a wet side of Swansea Bay

I had a bad batch of orchid compost a couple of years ago and lost a
couple of plants before I realised what was wrong. The compost tended
to drain poorly, even though it was exactly the same type I'd previously
used with success, so I'm much more wary these days. I sometimes buy a
bag of bulb compost (light mix, free draining and 'sweetened' with
charcoal, usually) to mix with the proprietory orchid compost, and this
has worked well. It mixes well with the bark, allowing the roots
contact with the compost, but doesn't impede drainage.

Well I got my 2 sacks of orchid compost and took a load of pics which I
will post later when I have time.
Got home last night and as I thought the Cymbidiums are in flower

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...7ca00.jpg.html
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...f28eb.jpg.html
David @ a mild side of Swansea Bay

Old 20-12-2014, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote
Well I got my 2 sacks of orchid compost and took a load of pics which I
will post later when I have time.
Got home last night and as I thought the Cymbidiums are in flower

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...7ca00.jpg.html
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...f28eb.jpg.html

So did you manage to keep your wallet in your pocket at Burnham Nurseries,
or have you added to your collection?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-12-2014, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/2014 12:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote
Well I got my 2 sacks of orchid compost and took a load of pics which
I will post later when I have time.
Got home last night and as I thought the Cymbidiums are in flower

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...7ca00.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...f28eb.jpg.html

So did you manage to keep your wallet in your pocket at Burnham
Nurseries, or have you added to your collection?

Not a dahlia added as we were going, if it had been on the way back it
would have been harder, but at their prices??
David
Old 20-12-2014, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:20:13 +0000, David
wrote:

[...]

lovely orchids David. A good advert for your care plan!
My first-in-15-years flower is well on its way to opening.