Old 28-12-2014, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This crazy year

Well it's still a strange year.
Last year I planted 6 early varieties of daffs trying to get a variety
that would flower outdoors for Xmas, well this year we wont make Xmas
but Early January looks a possibility
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps524f42c7.jpg

The Tree dahlias are still flowering with a lot more in bud, so that's
Dahlia Imperialis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7e57b86c.jpg

and Dahlia Tenuicaulis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7abb671e.jpg

Whilst the first Camellia flowers are open around 3 months earlier than
last season
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa082177c.jpg

Not to mention Blackberry flowers still out.
At this rate I could have a very strange mix in the New Year
How mixed up is your garden?
Taffy
Old 28-12-2014, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/12/2014 11:41, David wrote:
Well it's still a strange year.
Last year I planted 6 early varieties of daffs trying to get a variety
that would flower outdoors for Xmas, well this year we wont make Xmas
but Early January looks a possibility
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps524f42c7.jpg

The Tree dahlias are still flowering with a lot more in bud, so that's
Dahlia Imperialis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7e57b86c.jpg

and Dahlia Tenuicaulis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7abb671e.jpg

Whilst the first Camellia flowers are open around 3 months earlier than
last season
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa082177c.jpg

Not to mention Blackberry flowers still out.
At this rate I could have a very strange mix in the New Year
How mixed up is your garden?
Taffy

Looks as if you could be lucky with those daffs! I don't think I've got
any so advanced but, then, I haven't been buying early flowerers. I
need to do at lot of work on my garden in the year ahead then,
hopefully, I can buy lots of daffs for next spring.
As to oddities, I have a few flowers on my Pyracanthas and a couple of
droopy roses on Rosa 'The Fairy'.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 28-12-2014, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote

Well it's still a strange year.
Last year I planted 6 early varieties of daffs trying to get a variety that
would flower outdoors for Xmas, well this year we wont make Xmas but Early
January looks a possibility
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps524f42c7.jpg

The Tree dahlias are still flowering with a lot more in bud, so that's
Dahlia Imperialis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7e57b86c.jpg

and Dahlia Tenuicaulis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7abb671e.jpg

Whilst the first Camellia flowers are open around 3 months earlier than
last season
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa082177c.jpg

Not to mention Blackberry flowers still out.
At this rate I could have a very strange mix in the New Year
How mixed up is your garden?

Just back from a walk around The Savill Garden and noticed one of their
large pink Camelias (large tree sized) in full flower, looked stunning with
the bright blue sky behind. Also two clumps of Snowdrops in full flower.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-12-2014, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"David" wrote

[...]

Here are a couple of photos...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/15941570510/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...n/photostream/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/12/2014 15:00, Spider wrote:

Looks as if you could be lucky with those daffs! I don't think I've got
any so advanced but, then, I haven't been buying early flowerers. I
need to do at lot of work on my garden in the year ahead then,
hopefully, I can buy lots of daffs for next spring.
As to oddities, I have a few flowers on my Pyracanthas and a couple of
droopy roses on Rosa 'The Fairy'.

Quite a few things still with bits of flower on them. The earliest, as
opposed to the latest flowering, is a yellow primula which came into
flower just before Christmas. We have quite a few in the lawn but don't
see them until much later. This one has started growing all by itself
at the bottom of the main garden steps. Don't know if it is a seeded
escapee or a runner from the lawn (but if the latter, its travelled a
long way down!

--
regards andy