Old 26-09-2012, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Crazy Year continues

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 26-09-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and our
wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries have just
set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger, will we get ripe
fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli is nearly over.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and our
wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries have just
set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger, will we get ripe
fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli is nearly over.

Sorry, but I regard the cherries as the only unusual ones. My C. coum
are flowering vigorously, but that's fairly normal for autumn, and
broccoli flip between being annual and biennial at whim - in some
years, all of my spring ones crop in autumn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-09-2012, 10:55 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin[_2_] View Post
Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!
I have a cowslip.

But every year we have a thread about "unseasonable flowers". Maybe we need to revise our ideas about what is unseasonable?
__________________
Old 27-09-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and our
wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries have
just set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger, will we
get ripe fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli is nearly
over.
--

All my blackberries have failed. They started to fruit and then just dried
up Didn't get any plums or apples either

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and
our wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries
have just set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger, will
we get ripe fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli is
nearly over.

All my blackberries have failed. They started to fruit and then just
dried up Didn't get any plums or apples either

We had the same problem with out Boisenberry for the second year, so it is
gone, and the Loganberry has one more year to redeem itself or that too will
go. No point in wasting effort and space for no return.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-09-2012, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and our
wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries have
just
set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger, will we get
ripe
fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli is nearly over.

Sorry, but I regard the cherries as the only unusual ones. My C. coum
are flowering vigorously, but that's fairly normal for autumn, and
broccoli flip between being annual and biennial at whim - in some
years, all of my spring ones crop in autumn.

We have never had the two cyclamen flower at the same time, normally one now
and the other in early spring. Quite agree broccoli can do it's own thing
some years more than others, this year the rest of the "cabbages" have not
performed as they should on the packets as well most being months early or
just going straight to flower. Still the bees love them.
As for the cherries, we could not believe it when they flowered, only a few
it's true, again in late August and they set.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-09-2012, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and
our wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries
have just set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger,
will we get ripe fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli
is nearly over.

All my blackberries have failed. They started to fruit and then just
dried up Didn't get any plums or apples either

We had the same problem with out Boisenberry for the second year, so it is
gone, and the Loganberry has one more year to redeem itself or that too
will go. No point in wasting effort and space for no return.

So in my case, would you give them another couple of years? I have had the
other stuff fail but never the blackberries.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2012 23:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

Still not had any tomatoes yet! A couple are going pink now but it will
be touch and go if we get any before the cold weather / frosts kill them
off. They were hit badly with blight earlier in the year and I managed
to nurse some plants back to health with some anti-fungal spray but they
are fruiting very late.

Old 27-09-2012, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote
Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

We have both Cyclamen coum and hederafolium flowering together now and
our wisteria still has a few flowers, on the allotment a few cherries
have just set on two of our four trees (and they are getting bigger,
will we get ripe fruit for Christmas) and the winter sprouting broccoli
is nearly over.

All my blackberries have failed. They started to fruit and then just
dried up Didn't get any plums or apples either

We had the same problem with out Boisenberry for the second year, so it
is gone, and the Loganberry has one more year to redeem itself or that
too will go. No point in wasting effort and space for no return.

So in my case, would you give them another couple of years? I have had
the other stuff fail but never the blackberries.

I work on a two strikes and you're out basis (even with my Christmas card
list!). :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-09-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

[...]

Good plan)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-09-2012, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:07:20 PM UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is

flowering!

--

Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

The reasons for all this are outlined he http://www.ipcc.ch/
Sorry it doesnt include corp media nonsense which makes the facts easier to come to terms with............
Old 28-09-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:50643507$0
:

On 26/09/2012 23:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down he garden today, and noticed that the rhododendron is
flowering!

Still not had any tomatoes yet! A couple are going pink now but it will
be touch and go if we get any before the cold weather / frosts kill them
off. They were hit badly with blight earlier in the year and I managed
to nurse some plants back to health with some anti-fungal spray but they
are fruiting very late.

What I would give to have a nice fat and juicy vine of red tomtoes in the
garden......Oooh, those days last year when we only had just a moderate
crop, and the freezers were full of broad beans, runner beans and deciding
which of them to keep or dry to make the room for all of the tomates and
recipes with a view to freezing them.

Roll on 2013, we are ready.
Baz

This crazy year David United Kingdom 4 02-01-2015 10:41 AM
It's been a crazy year in the garden Winsford United Kingdom 0 26-09-2007 06:42 PM
My search for Tall Living Fence continues Lecher9000 Gardening 5 14-10-2003 09:12 PM
The obstructionism continues Le Messurier alt.forestry 0 16-08-2003 01:02 AM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM