Old 10-04-2015, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A news article????

"Spider" wrote in message
On 07/04/2015 22:49, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 07/04/2015 18:59, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 4/7/2015 7:47 AM, Spider wrote:
On 07/04/2015 08:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 13:54:11 +0100, Spider
wrote:

Well, I'm up to date with my Tetanus jab.

I thought these days that 'they' (doctors, NHS etc) now reckon that
'keeping it up to date' is unnecessary. If you had a tetanus jab
decades ago, it was longer lasting that they previously realised,
and
didn't need regular renewing every ten years or so. Certainly, I
haven't had one for so long I don't remember the last one (mind you,
that might mean it was last week, but I don't think so. LOL!)

Essentially I think you're right and I believed myself to be fully up
date. However, when I had a nasty festering injury and went to A&E,
the
first thing they did was give me a tetanus shot before calling for
the
orthopedics doc. It leaves we wondering ...

Perhaps I should get another tetanus shot - the last one was more than
20
years ago.

I can't remember my last one

Mmmm .. wouldn't hurt to ask the doc. Better safe than sorry.

I have to see our Practice Nurse anyway next week so I will ask. She is
very good and although I will be there for an asthma check this time she
will answer questions about anything and if she doesn't know, she will
find
out. We are very lucky.

Is it something that gardeners need to keep up to date with?

It is particularly important if you use horse manure to fertilise your
garden but, if you're new to a garden, you can't be sure that horse muck
hasn't been used. However, I was given a jab for my injury even though I
hadn't been in contact with either horse or garden, so it seems to be used
as a first line of defence. I don't think one can be vaccinated against
Cellulitis, only treated with antibiotics after it's diagnosed. It is
quite nasty. I could have lost the use of my hand:~(.

That is frightening

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/