Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Default Unsure about shade!

Hi, I'm not sure about what plants to plant in an area of my garden as I'm not really sure if it's classed as shadey or not. So it is east facing, gets morning sun up until about 12pm, it is a bed that comes out about 3 feet from some mature large evergreen shrubs. So I'm guessing these will make it dry, it is clay type soil too. I've grown poppies there and grannies bonnet. So does this count as a partial shade area? In winter it gets even less sun.

Thanks, for the help
Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmkay777 View Post
Hi, I'm not sure about what plants to plant in an area of my garden as I'm not really sure if it's classed as shadey or not. So it is east facing, gets morning sun up until about 12pm, it is a bed that comes out about 3 feet from some mature large evergreen shrubs. So I'm guessing these will make it dry, it is clay type soil too. I've grown poppies there and grannies bonnet. So does this count as a partial shade area? In winter it gets even less sun.

Thanks, for the help
Dicentra - Bleeding Heart plants are nice and Japanese Maple would also work well in these conditions.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-04-05 09:12:58 +0000, mmmkay777 said:

Hi, I'm not sure about what plants to plant in an area of my garden as
I'm not really sure if it's classed as shadey or not. So it is east
facing, gets morning sun up until about 12pm, it is a bed that comes out
about 3 feet from some mature large evergreen shrubs. So I'm guessing
these will make it dry, it is clay type soil too. I've grown poppies
there and grannies bonnet. So does this count as a partial shade area?
In winter it gets even less sun.

Thanks, for the help

Hardy Geraniums, the true Geranium, would probably be happy there. A
good, long-lasting award winning one is G. 'Rozanne' (used to be 'Jolly
Bee')
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-04-2015, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2015 10:12, mmmkay777 wrote:
Hi, I'm not sure about what plants to plant in an area of my garden as
I'm not really sure if it's classed as shadey or not. So it is east
facing, gets morning sun up until about 12pm, it is a bed that comes out
about 3 feet from some mature large evergreen shrubs. So I'm guessing
these will make it dry, it is clay type soil too. I've grown poppies
there and grannies bonnet. So does this count as a partial shade area?
In winter it gets even less sun.

Thanks, for the help

If you can grow poppies and Granny's Bonnets there, I should think it's
not excessively shady. Are you able to gain more light by pruning the
evergreens, or do these belong to your neighbour?

Try improving the clay soil by digging in good compost and grit.
I would have thought you could add some of the Campanula tribe to your
planting; there are taller types for mid-to-back of border as well as
shorter front-of-border forms. Colours are mainly blue and white, but
there are some pinks among the taller ones. Hardy Fuchsias should also
suit your site. Heucheras and Heucherellas would also cope with those
conditions and look good at the front of the border. Dicentra
spectabilis and Polygonatum would look very handsome there. Both die
back over the winter, so don't imagine you've lost them.

Very few alpines enjoy shade, but one which will cope at the front of
your border and look beautiful in late spring is Chiastophyllum
oppsitifolium. Awful name, I know, but gorgeous primrose-yellow
catkin-like flowers. Also try London's Pride (I think that's Saxifraga
urbium, or similar. No doubt someone will kindly supply the correct name).

Shade is a great asset in the garden. If I didn't have any, I'd have to
plant trees to create some. My woodland garden is one of my favourite
areas, so don't give up, but do improve your soil so the roots of your
plants have a chance to spread out of their pot-shaped mould.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London