Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilli info

For those who like to grow different chillies, this should give you
sufficient info to grow or avoid...
http://www.yvonnes-plants.co.uk/app/...f?t=1427733106

--

Jeff
Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
For those who like to grow different chillies, this should give you
sufficient info to grow or avoid...
http://www.yvonnes-plants.co.uk/app/...f?t=1427733106

Don't bet on it :-)

It has only a few varieties, some of those names are collective
rather than specific, and several of the chillis vary a great deal
with conditions. I grew cayenne (from Tobago) last year, and it
was very mild until late in the season, when it became moderately
hot. Also, some people don't like the flavour of all chillis.

So ANY guide cannot be more than indicative.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Been growing Chillies for last 10 years.
I'm growing the following this year:
Anaheim
Cayenne
Apache
Scotch Bonnets
All are doing well.
From my experience success depends on the length of the growing season.
Which in UK is to say the least variable.
For instance Anaheim and Apache mature very quickly, so I'm expecting good results.
Doubt I will see much fruit on Scotch Bonnets, but worth trying.

Brian
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/15 20:26, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
For those who like to grow different chillies, this should give you
sufficient info to grow or avoid...
http://www.yvonnes-plants.co.uk/app/...f?t=1427733106

Don't bet on it :-)

It has only a few varieties, some of those names are collective
rather than specific, and several of the chillis vary a great deal
with conditions. I grew cayenne (from Tobago) last year, and it
was very mild until late in the season, when it became moderately
hot. Also, some people don't like the flavour of all chillis.

So ANY guide cannot be more than indicative.

Yes, but it's a reasonable place to start. There may be hundreds of
varieties, but only a few will be available to the amateur, unless you
can get down to West Dean in August. The list does does show that there
is quite a range in Scoville units even with a single variety.

And, of course, there is quite a range within a single chilli. Many
years ago I visited a small commercial grower, who was trying several
different varieties in his greenhouses. I knew of cayenne and bird's eye
chillies, but he showed me a smallish, rather bulbous shaped chilli I
had never seen before. He said it was not too hot, and picked one for me
to try. I gingerly bit into the extreme end of it, to find no heat at
all. So I took a good chunk out of it. It was a scotch bonnet...

--

Jeff

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM