Old 22-04-2015, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Marshalls Jermor shallots

"Bob Hobden" wrote

Bought a bag of 25 of these lovely shallots to grow from Marshalls, planted
them some weeks ago with the other shallots. Whilst the others have grown
well the Jermors have no sign of growth, dug a few up and whilst some have
a tiny bit of root growth they have no sign of sprouting. They are
obviously heat treated shallots so they cannot sprout and are only good for
the kitchen. Rather bad of Marshalls, what is worse is that they have
failed to respond to my email. I'm beginning to think it's me!

After sending two emails without a response I telephoned today and spoke to
someone who said their shallots are not heat treated despite the fact these
certainly have been (I've seen it before). They have refunded me the price.
Means I won't have as many shallots to pickle/cook but at least I'm not out
of pocket.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-04-2015, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2015 17:18, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote

Bought a bag of 25 of these lovely shallots to grow from Marshalls,
planted them some weeks ago with the other shallots. Whilst the others
have grown well the Jermors have no sign of growth, dug a few up and
whilst some have a tiny bit of root growth they have no sign of
sprouting. They are obviously heat treated shallots so they cannot
sprout and are only good for the kitchen. Rather bad of Marshalls,
what is worse is that they have failed to respond to my email. I'm
beginning to think it's me!

After sending two emails without a response I telephoned today and spoke
to someone who said their shallots are not heat treated despite the fact
these certainly have been (I've seen it before). They have refunded me
the price. Means I won't have as many shallots to pickle/cook but at
least I'm not out of pocket.

What a shame, Bob. I know you like shallot Jermor because you've
recommended them here before. As you say, at least you've been
refunded, but that doesn't make it less disappointing. I've not used
Marshalls before, but had always thought they were one of the better
seed and plant firms with years of experience. Their attitude to you was
appalling. Hope you manage to find another firm to supply Jermor
shallots next year and have better luck with them.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-04-2015, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2015 19:08, Spider wrote:
[...]

Just wondering if you have tried giving them a couple of weeks in the
fridge?
Old 22-04-2015, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Spider wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I would have thought it had been cold enough since I received them and then
planted them to break any dormancy and the other shallots I planted and all
the onion sets planted at the same time are growing away very well. However
I will put a few in the fridge for a couple of weeks just to see it that
breaks the dormancy although my understanding is that the heat treatment
they use kills the growing tip.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Marshalls Jermor shallots David Hill United Kingdom 4 23-04-2015 05:16 PM
Marshalls Alan Gould United Kingdom 8 09-02-2006 04:10 PM
Unwins and Marshalls Leslie United Kingdom 4 20-08-2004 07:11 PM
Marshalls' experimental tomatoes jane United Kingdom 14 15-06-2003 08:56 PM
Anyone had trouble with Marshalls? Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 7 18-05-2003 10:56 PM