Old 16-06-2015, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Transplanting Carrots

Good afternoon.

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:51:18 +0100,
David Hill wrote:
There is a difference between crops like Beetroot and Swedes, and long
rooted veg like Carrots and Parsnips.
The first thing the latter do is to send down their tap root, if it gets
bent or damaged then the resulting plant will have a lumpy root when lifted.

This is true for carrots sawn on unsuitable soil. I do not yet see the
inevitability of malformed carrots because they have been replanted.
Other things may happen, but you haven't mentioned any, for the time.

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 17-06-2015, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

There is a difference between crops like Beetroot and Swedes, and long
rooted veg like Carrots and Parsnips.
The first thing the latter do is to send down their tap root, if it gets
bent or damaged then the resulting plant will have a lumpy root when lifted.

This is true for carrots sawn on unsuitable soil. I do not yet see the
inevitability of malformed carrots because they have been replanted.
Other things may happen, but you haven't mentioned any, for the time.

Isn't the main problem that damage from handling them inevitably
advertises their location to every carrot fly and slug for miles around.

There is a problem that an ordinary seed tray may not be deep enough...

I am used to random shaped root vegetables my garden consists of mostly
of glacial morain boulder clay with a good mix of stones in it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-06-2015, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

There is a difference between crops like Beetroot and Swedes, and long
rooted veg like Carrots and Parsnips.
The first thing the latter do is to send down their tap root, if it gets
bent or damaged then the resulting plant will have a lumpy root when lifted.

This is true for carrots sawn on unsuitable soil. I do not yet see the
inevitability of malformed carrots because they have been replanted.
Other things may happen, but you haven't mentioned any, for the time.

Isn't the main problem that damage from handling them inevitably
advertises their location to every carrot fly and slug for miles around.

No. The main one is that they produce a single tap root, with a lot
of very flimsy feeding roots coming off it. It is very hard to
transplant them without damaging the former, or stripping off the
latter. But the fly issue is significant, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2015, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/2015 12:15, Michael Uplawski wrote:
Good afternoon, all.

I read all the messages in this thread and are still waiting for a
definite statement. Unfortunately, carrots are a sensible subject in
Normandy and I cannot make my own experience this year (I may, next
year and tell you about it).

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 22:53:43 +0100,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Whilst in Homebase this afternoon, I wandered around the garden
bit

(...)
If so how do Homebase justify selling them like
this?

My question is a different one: Why doesn't any of you actually ask them
? If there is something to gain from the communication with so-called
experts, we should by all means hear them.

On the other hand, “experience is the enemy of the better“ (myself
june 2015) and „Experience is nothing! You can do things the wrong way
for 35 years.“ (Kurt Tucholsky, around 1928).

You may not have seen the state of plants in the likes of Homebase.

They offer buy & die plants for sale sometimes already dead before they
leave the shop. It isn't unusual to see trolley loads of plants dying
for lack of water in these places. No point in reasoning with them!

That said there are sometimes (rarely) bargains to be had.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-06-2015, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:49:35 +0100,
Martin Brown wrote:

You may not have seen the state of plants in the likes of Homebase.

I definitely have not. Thanks for clarifying.

They offer buy & die plants for sale sometimes already dead before they
leave the shop. It isn't unusual to see trolley loads of plants dying
for lack of water in these places. No point in reasoning with them!

Okay. That kind of shop.

That said there are sometimes (rarely) bargains to be had.

Like the 50 leeks we got for a bargain price at « Point Vert ». We've
planted all 35 in one aftern... wait.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
[Next key will use elliptic-curve algorithm! :-) Get GnuPG!!]

Transplanting carrots Higgs Boson Gardening 14 30-12-2011 06:01 AM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM