Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brush!

I didn't prune my Callistemon last autumn, then I decided a couple of
months ago that it was getting a bit too lanky and cut some of the
longer branches back quite heavily, I thought that might annoy it as by
then it had spent effort growing buds on them, but it seems to have
survived, been outside in its tub all winter, in a fairly sheltered corner.

Anyway the first 'brush' opened up today with plenty more to come ...
Old 13-06-2015, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2015 18:50, Andy Burns wrote:
I didn't prune my Callistemon last autumn, then I decided a couple of
months ago that it was getting a bit too lanky and cut some of the
longer branches back quite heavily, I thought that might annoy it as by
then it had spent effort growing buds on them, but it seems to have
survived, been outside in its tub all winter, in a fairly sheltered corner.

Anyway the first 'brush' opened up today with plenty more to come ...

Where are you, Andy? I've often thought of growing Callistemon,
preferably in the ground, but concerned about frosts and winter weather
*and* my rather heavy London clay. What are your local conditions like
in winter? I have noted that yours is in a pot, by-the-way.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 13-06-2015, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't prune my Callistemon last autumn

Where are you, Andy?

South Leics

I've often thought of growing Callistemon,
preferably in the ground, but concerned about frosts and winter weather
*and* my rather heavy London clay. What are your local conditions like
in winter?

In summer I shuffle it into the open at the front of the house to catch
most sun, over winter I moved into the corner between house and porch so
it is relatively sheltered.

I have noted that yours is in a pot, by-the-way.

Quite large tub about 15x15x24", half a dozen brushes out now.

Old 17-06-2015, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 14:58:49 +0100, Spider wrote:

Where are you, Andy? I've often thought of growing Callistemon,
preferably in the ground, but concerned about frosts and winter weather
*and* my rather heavy London clay. What are your local conditions like
in winter? I have noted that yours is in a pot, by-the-way.

Hi Spider,

I've had C. sieberi growing in the ground for a couple of years now, no
problems but it hasn't flowered yet. Seems it might be OK for you.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-06-2015, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2015 17:10, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 14:58:49 +0100, Spider wrote:

Where are you, Andy? I've often thought of growing Callistemon,
preferably in the ground, but concerned about frosts and winter weather
*and* my rather heavy London clay. What are your local conditions like
in winter? I have noted that yours is in a pot, by-the-way.

Hi Spider,

I've had C. sieberi growing in the ground for a couple of years now, no
problems but it hasn't flowered yet. Seems it might be OK for you.

Thanks, Emery! That seems like a definite possible...

Aaargh! I've just done a quick spot of research and discovered they
prefer neutral to acid soil. I probably have neutral soil in the open,
but most sheltered places (where I would get away with growing this) are
close to walls or structures where limey conditions seem likely to
prevail:~((. It may be I have to try pot culture anyway, but I will do
some more research. Thanks anyway for your response.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote:

I've had C. sieberi growing in the ground for a couple of years now, no
problems but it hasn't flowered yet.

Mine is a Callistemon Laevis, it has had plenty of flowers but each one
seems to last a shorter time than I remember from last year.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2015 19:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Emery Davis wrote:

I've had C. sieberi growing in the ground for a couple of years now, no
problems but it hasn't flowered yet.

Mine is a Callistemon Laevis,

Thanks for that, Andy. I'll check that one out.

it has had plenty of flowers but each one
seems to last a shorter time than I remember from last year.

I wonder if that is true of only your C.laevis, or if you notice it with
other plants/flowers? The last couple of years, I've noticed that many
of my flowers on many different plants burn out before they've had what
I consider to be their usual season. I have been blaming the searing
temperatures.

It may simply be that Callistemon is one of those plants that loses
vigour as they age or, perhaps, more likely, your flowers are being
pollinated earlier. Do you see lots of pollinating insects in your garden?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-05-2016, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 13 June 2015 17:37:12 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I didn't prune my Callistemon last autumn

half a dozen brushes out now

The first one has opened today, about a month earlier than last year, possibly because I noticed the buds this year and started giving it a watering in the evenings.

Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
Brush algae still a problem alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
Clearing brush Ken_B Gardening 13 02-04-2003 08:56 PM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM
Black brush algae from hell Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 30-03-2003 01:56 PM