Old 11-06-2015, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default luring insects into my greenhouse

Good evening.

It is becoming really dark outside and those waves of thunder come
nearer... I spontaneously decided to skip watering my garden, but to ask
you something, instead.

In our greenhouse, I see bumble bees and all sorts of other insects come
in and some are intelligent enough to find the way out again. There
should though be a little more shuttling activity, in my opinion.

Have you an idea, what could attract more polinisating insects ? I
already try sugared water but cannot claim that anybody were
interested in it.

[Oh, now I get photographed from above]. Okay, I will have to disconnect
my equipment and turn off the current.

Cheerio,

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/15 18:10, Michael Uplawski wrote:
Good evening.

It is becoming really dark outside and those waves of thunder come
nearer... I spontaneously decided to skip watering my garden, but to ask
you something, instead.

In our greenhouse, I see bumble bees and all sorts of other insects come
in and some are intelligent enough to find the way out again. There
should though be a little more shuttling activity, in my opinion.

Have you an idea, what could attract more polinisating insects ? I
already try sugared water but cannot claim that anybody were
interested in it.

It might help to put a number of pots of flowering plants, which are
attractive to pollinating insects, by the greenhouse door. After
visiting those plants, they may well be attracted to flowering plants
inside the greenhouse.

--

Jeff
Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Uplawski" wrote in message
ki.eu...
Good evening.

It is becoming really dark outside and those waves of thunder come
nearer... I spontaneously decided to skip watering my garden, but to ask
you something, instead.

In our greenhouse, I see bumble bees and all sorts of other insects come
in and some are intelligent enough to find the way out again. There
should though be a little more shuttling activity, in my opinion.

Have you an idea, what could attract more polinisating insects ? I
already try sugared water but cannot claim that anybody were
interested in it.

[Oh, now I get photographed from above]. Okay, I will have to disconnect
my equipment and turn off the current.

Cheerio,

Michael

--

Anything yellow normally works so either grow some annual yellow flowered
plants or use the bright yellow stuff they use for sticky traps but

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2015 11:33, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Michael Uplawski" wrote in message
ki.eu...
Good evening.

Have you an idea, what could attract more polinisating insects ? I
already try sugared water but cannot claim that anybody were
interested in it.

[Oh, now I get photographed from above]. Okay, I will have to disconnect
my equipment and turn off the current.

Cheerio,

Michael

--

Anything yellow normally works so either grow some annual yellow
flowered plants or use the bright yellow stuff they use for sticky traps
but obviously without the sticky!

The bad news is that yellow won't just attract the good pollenating
insects and at this time of year it will attract all the horrid little
beetles that infested the bright yellow oilseed rape crop flowers too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

You are just being picky now :~)

Old 13-06-2015, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:33:43 +0100,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Have you an idea, what could attract more polin[is]ating insects ? I
already try sugared water but cannot claim that anybody were
interested in it.

Anything yellow normally works so either grow some annual yellow flowered
plants or use the bright yellow stuff they use for sticky traps but
obviously without the sticky!

I see, that the yellow tomato-flowers attract the bumble bees. Here in
Normandy, yellow is the predominant color of flowers and I even go so
far as to say that nature exaggerates it a bit. So I rather opt for
something blue (Borage) and some red blossoming species.

In the vicinity of the greenhouse and about everywhere else, too, a lot
of Haracleum serves as asset of last resort for many flying insects, but
for the time does not attract many bumble bees, bees or butterflies.

I believe that, if I want to attract _pollinating_ (okay, I looked that
verb up in a dictionary) insects with flowers, I must plant them
*inside* the greenhouse. The idea to use some “artificial” decoy is
interesting as it probably saves space and does not mean a lot of
extra-work.

Thank you, so far.

Michael