Old 05-07-2015, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cross Pollination

I usually grow Sungold tomatoes and Red Rum runner beans.

This year I am growing Sungold and Piccolo tomatoes and Red Rum and Moonlight
runner beans.

Is it likely that the two different types of tomatoes and the two different
types of runners will lead to cross-pollination and hence odd tomatoes and odd
runner-beans.

PS Before someone says it: I am not concerned that the tomatoes and runners
will cross-pollinate between them .

Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message

I usually grow Sungold tomatoes and Red Rum runner beans.

This year I am growing Sungold and Piccolo tomatoes and Red Rum and
Moonlight
runner beans.

Is it likely that the two different types of tomatoes and the two
different
types of runners will lead to cross-pollination and hence odd tomatoes and
odd
runner-beans.

PS Before someone says it: I am not concerned that the tomatoes and
runners
will cross-pollinate between them .

Only if you grow any seeds from the mixed plants next year, at that point
you could get anything.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 09:21:36 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
. ..

I usually grow Sungold tomatoes and Red Rum runner beans.

This year I am growing Sungold and Piccolo tomatoes and Red Rum and
Moonlight
runner beans.

Is it likely that the two different types of tomatoes and the two
different
types of runners will lead to cross-pollination and hence odd tomatoes
and
odd
runner-beans.

PS Before someone says it: I am not concerned that the tomatoes and
runners
will cross-pollinate between them .

Only if you grow any seeds from the mixed plants next year, at that point
you could get anything.

Cheers.

So the answer was yes.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message

I usually grow Sungold tomatoes and Red Rum runner beans.

This year I am growing Sungold and Piccolo tomatoes and Red Rum and
Moonlight
runner beans.

Is it likely that the two different types of tomatoes and the two
different
types of runners will lead to cross-pollination and hence odd tomatoes
and
odd
runner-beans.

PS Before someone says it: I am not concerned that the tomatoes and
runners
will cross-pollinate between them .

Only if you grow any seeds from the mixed plants next year, at that point
you could get anything.

Cheers.

So the answer was yes.

The answer is NO
cross pollination will not result in odd tomatoes or beans.
It will result in seed within those fruit that may produce plants that
could result in odd fruit next year.

Old 17-07-2015, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 07/07/2015 22:51, Christina Websell wrote:
news
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

I was surprised to find that I didn't have to worry about the precious dwarf
beans I got from the netherland seed bank of rare beans pollinating each
other. Apparently they are self fertile. Damn, I was so careful. I only
planted one variety. I could have sown all of them.

Cross pollination ??? Zimmy Edible Gardening 3 13-04-2007 03:53 PM
Pear trees - cross pollination query. Keith \(Dorset\) United Kingdom 6 22-03-2007 11:36 PM
Cross pollination? jammer Roses 17 17-05-2003 09:44 AM
Cross-pollination question Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
Cross pollination? Sunflower Roses 0 07-05-2003 06:32 PM