Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes under polythene

I have a raised bed which I covered with black polythene - and then in which I
made holes (4 inchish). Planting an Arran Pilot in the soil under each hole.
Plenty of slug pellets between soil and polythene

No hilling up at all.

The bed has irrigation pipes between soil and polythene.

Just had the first pickings: absolutely fantastic . A number of the larger
potatoes were actually 50/50 in the soil/above it.

Only one had a slight green spot.

Well worth the effort (and loads of them still to dig up)

Old 07-07-2015, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 14:42:35 +0100, Judith
wrote:

I have a raised bed which I covered with black polythene - and then in which I
made holes (4 inchish). Planting an Arran Pilot in the soil under each hole.
Plenty of slug pellets between soil and polythene

No hilling up at all.

The bed has irrigation pipes between soil and polythene.

Just had the first pickings: absolutely fantastic . A number of the larger
potatoes were actually 50/50 in the soil/above it.

Only one had a slight green spot.

Well worth the effort (and loads of them still to dig up)

Well done Judith. I like success stories like that. If I still had my
allotment I'd try it!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2015 14:42, Judith wrote:
I have a raised bed which I covered with black polythene - and then in which I
made holes (4 inchish). Planting an Arran Pilot in the soil under each hole.
Plenty of slug pellets between soil and polythene

No hilling up at all.

The bed has irrigation pipes between soil and polythene.

Just had the first pickings: absolutely fantastic . A number of the larger
potatoes were actually 50/50 in the soil/above it.

Only one had a slight green spot.

Well worth the effort (and loads of them still to dig up)

I first grew potatoes that way in the late 50's I used to plant 3 rows
to a 4 ft sheet with the centre row staggered.
when it was time to lift I used to feel under the sheet and just remove
the largest potatoes, just as many as we needed leaving the rest to grow
on.
Nice to know it's still being done.

Planting potatoes --- black polythene Jonathan Campbell United Kingdom 4 08-03-2009 08:38 PM
heating a mini polythene greenhouse Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 13 17-01-2007 10:56 PM
polythene pots sahara United Kingdom 9 28-02-2005 11:29 AM
White Polythene and Lean To's sean United Kingdom 1 27-01-2004 11:15 PM
White Polythene and Lean To's sean United Kingdom 1 27-01-2004 11:15 PM