Old 25-02-2005, 12:48 PM
sahara

Default polythene pots

Has anyone used these pots as sold by twowests?

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/PP.htm

Im interested because they seem cheap as chips and yet they are
new/uniform looking (as i want to grow plants in them i can then sell
for charidee so presentation is important) as well as probably being
quite efficient with space.
I am concerned they will be difficult to use tho, say having a similar
issue that black bin bags have when you are trying to fill them -
constantly falling shut.
Any experiance??
thanks
sarah a
Old 25-02-2005, 01:49 PM
shazzbat

"sahara" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone used these pots as sold by twowests?

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/PP.htm

Im interested because they seem cheap as chips and yet they are
new/uniform looking (as i want to grow plants in them i can then sell
for charidee so presentation is important) as well as probably being
quite efficient with space.
I am concerned they will be difficult to use tho, say having a similar
issue that black bin bags have when you are trying to fill them -
constantly falling shut.

No I haven't any experience, but try this for an idea. To avoid the falling
shut problem, put the poly pot you're filling into an appropriately sized
plant pot and either fold the top over, or wet the inside of the pot so the
poly pot sticks to it, at least long enough to fill with compost.

HTH
Steve

Old 25-02-2005, 06:11 PM
JennyC

"sahara" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone used these pots as sold by twowests?

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/PP.htm

Im interested because they seem cheap as chips and yet they are
new/uniform looking (as i want to grow plants in them i can then sell
for charidee so presentation is important) as well as probably being
quite efficient with space.
I am concerned they will be difficult to use tho, say having a similar
issue that black bin bags have when you are trying to fill them -
constantly falling shut.
Any experiance??
thanks
sarah a

I've used something similar in the past. They are not too difficult to fill,
being small. Bin bags are MUCH larger :~))

If you do have difficulty filling them, you could perhaps make a cardboard
'tube' to insert into the top of the pot and fill via that?

jenny

Old 25-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , JennyC wrote:

If you do have difficulty filling them, you could perhaps make a cardboard
'tube' to insert into the top of the pot and fill via that?

An old bog roll tube sounds about right.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , JennyC
wrote:

If you do have difficulty filling them, you could perhaps make a
cardboard 'tube' to insert into the top of the pot and fill via

that?

An old bog roll tube sounds about right.

Or a couple of quid should get you a wide-mouthed preserving funnel
designed for filling jam jars if you haven't got one in the kitchen.
Or just cut the top off a plastic milk-bottle.

Mike.

Old 27-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , JennyC
wrote:

If you do have difficulty filling them, you could perhaps make a
cardboard 'tube' to insert into the top of the pot and fill via

that?

An old bog roll tube sounds about right.

Or a couple of quid should get you a wide-mouthed preserving funnel
designed for filling jam jars if you haven't got one in the kitchen.
Or just cut the top off a plastic milk-bottle.

Mike.

We use these all the time and you do not need any tubes or funnels, just put
2 or 3 handfuls of compost in the bag and firm on a hard surface with your
fist and they become free standing enough to pot normally.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-02-2005, 11:04 AM
sahara

"David Taylor" wrote in message ...
Aren't they bad for the environment though?

the page says that "Pots made from approx. 200 gauge recycled
polyethylene." So i imagine that would be a good thing for the
environment - i dont intend to plant them like fybro pots and i guess
they could possibly be reused - its just that if i intend to sell the
potted plant i cant guarentee the buyer will reuse the pot in
question. I personally throw no pots away but my stocks get depleted
by giving away potted plants. - Hence the search for a cheap pot i
will not miss so much.
sarah a
Old 27-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Mike

http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

om...

Old 28-02-2005, 11:29 AM

David Taylor wrote:
Aren't they bad for the environment though?

Only in the way all plastics are!

When I lived in a shop we used to get brown paper bags in all grades,
including a stiff one glazed on one side. If you turn those inside out
they will make a plant pot for long enough to grow something up and
sell it, although not much more.