Old 16-01-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default heating a mini polythene greenhouse

I received a small 3 tier polythene greenhouse for xmas and want to use
to grow some seeds of which I have many this year.

I put it up and check the temp in it and it was only around 7c at
approx 4 pm in the afternoon.

If I put seeds into unheated propogators with this greenhouse will this
be sufficient for them to grow or will it be too cold at the moment ?

I was trying to get some sweet pea seeds going before it's too late and
the apparently only need around 10c - 15c

I was also going to grow geraniums in a heated propogator which I can
plug in and leave in the green house as it has an electric point right
next to it.

or should I look at some sort of heating for the greenhouse but given
that it is small and polythene what would be suitable to heat it with.

I am trying to keep the seeds outside in the new greenhouse to protect
them from my wife and children who don't give them as much regard as I
do !!!

suggestions please or do I just need to wait until it's warmer to use
these greenhouse ?

Old 16-01-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert wrote:
[...]

A tube heater? Usually 60W or 100W. Such as this......
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heating-c-213.html
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 16-01-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
Gardening_Convert wrote:

A tube heater? Usually 60W or 100W. Such as this......
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heating-c-213.html
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

so it would just be the cost of a light turned on 24-7? How much does
that equate to I wonder?

Judith at home in England

Old 16-01-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
BoyPete wrote:
Gardening_Convert wrote:

A tube heater? Usually 60W or 100W. Such as this......
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heating-c-213.html
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

so it would just be the cost of a light turned on 24-7? How much does
that equate to I wonder?

Judith at home in England

Obviously it depends on your energy supplier and wattage,, but around £1.20
a month for 'a light bulb'. Info courtesy of Google.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 16-01-2007, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:

No, the electricity is 'used' to create light. The tubes I spoke of use all
the electricity to produce heat. Do you remember the old style portable
heaters that used a long coil of wire that glowed red?....similar concept,
but safely enclosed.
--
ßôyþëtë

Ah, now I understand, I wonder how much heat I would need for my sized
greenhouse, and whether, say 1 large or 2 small ones would be adequate.
I looked on the link you gave, but it didn't give heat output, AFAICS.

Judith at home in Norwich

Old 16-01-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

wrote:
BoyPete wrote:
wrote:
so it would just be the cost of a light turned on 24-7? How much
does that equate to I wonder?

Judith at home in England

Obviously it depends on your energy supplier and wattage,, but
around £1.20 a month for 'a light bulb'. Info courtesy of Google.
--
ßôyþëtë

I wonder if you could use the low energy bulbs making that around
what, say 50p a month. I have a Halls greenhouse, I think its about
8 x 8. My new paraffin heater blew up and I don't want another.
Would 2 x low energy, 100 watt bulbs be adequate to heat the
greenhouse so that I could use it now?

Judith at home in Norwich

No, the electricity is 'used' to create light. The tubes I spoke of use all
the electricity to produce heat. Do you remember the old style portable
heaters that used a long coil of wire that glowed red?....similar concept,
but safely enclosed.

Heck, all the electricity ends up as heat anyway. If its a transparent
polytunnel then maybe some of the light will escape and not heat the
tunnel but even in an energy efficient bulb most of the power goes
directly to heat without going through light first. So if you use a low
energy bulb it will simply produce less heat. I don't know how
big the polytunnel is - or how well insulated (is it bubblewrap lined?)
but I get the feeling that 100 watt wouldn't make much difference to
the temperature. Most greenhouse heaters are 2kilowatt and up.
There's some nice thermostatically controlled heater tape thats intended
for underheating beds and greenhouse staging.
However, its a nice warm winter this year.
Old 17-01-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

BoyPete wrote:
Gardening_Convert wrote:

A tube heater? Usually 60W or 100W. Such as this......
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Tubular-Heating-c-213.html
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

so it would just be the cost of a light turned on 24-7? How much does

that equate to I wonder?

And, the cost of a light bulb, would be considerably cheaper than a heater,
and would do exactly the same job!

Alan

Old 17-01-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert wrote:
[...]

I am using the following type of greenhouse , so what is suitable for
this ?

http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/product...reenhouses.asp

Cheers

Colin

Old 17-01-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
No, because low energy light bulbs do not use the number of watts which are

shown on the case, that is a guide to the relative light output, the power
consumpton is much lower, about 20 watts for a light output of 100 watts.

In the case you mention, the heat output of two bulbs would be only 40
watts.

Alan

Thank you Alan

Judith at home in England

Old 17-01-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
No, because low energy light bulbs do not use the number of watts which
are

shown on the case, that is a guide to the relative light output, the
power
consumpton is much lower, about 20 watts for a light output of 100 watts.

In the case you mention, the heat output of two bulbs would be only 40
watts.

Thank you Alan

Not at all, anything for a lady!

Alan

Planting potatoes --- black polythene Jonathan Campbell United Kingdom 4 08-03-2009 08:38 PM
polythene pots sahara United Kingdom 9 28-02-2005 11:29 AM
soil heating cables for winter use/heating a greenhouse Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 14 08-08-2004 06:36 AM
White Polythene and Lean To's sean United Kingdom 1 27-01-2004 11:15 PM
White Polythene and Lean To's sean United Kingdom 1 27-01-2004 11:15 PM