Old 20-07-2015, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Dusty Miller"

A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.
Old 20-07-2015, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2015 23:00, Pam Moore wrote:
A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.

Childhood memoriesare of soneting similar but with a flower more purple
than pink with flowers rather like a primula, includimg the tosette of
leaves at ground level

Malcolm
Old 20-07-2015, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.

Also known as silver ragwort :-

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s....asp?catID=567

Old 20-07-2015, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2015 23:07, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.

Also known as silver ragwort :-

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s....asp?catID=567

NOT what I was thinking of. What I was thinking of was very much like a
primula

Malcolm
Old 21-07-2015, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.

Also known as silver ragwort :-

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s....asp?catID=567

NOT what I was thinking of. What I was thinking of was very much like a
primula

Malcolm

Primula auricular are indeed often known as Dusty Miller

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 21-07-2015, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:26:01 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 23:00:11 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

A friend told me she had planted a "Dusty Miller" but she didn't have
a label! Her description was greyish leaves and tall with pink
flowers.
I assume the epithet indicates a farinaceous plant. Any ideas?
I guess that name has been applied to many "floury" plants.

What I know as Dusty Miller and which sounds like what your friend has
planted, is Lychnis coronaria, AKA Silene coronaria. Images here
http://tinyurl.com/qauvdg3 It pops up in my garden from time to time
as it self-seeds freely. Wiki says "It is a perennial growing to 80 cm
(31 in) tall by 45 cm (18 in) wide, with grey felted leaves and
single, bright magenta flowers produced in succession in late summer.
Though short-lived, the plant readily self-seeds in favourable
locations. It is sometimes grown as a biennial"
http://tinyurl.com/nu2twdw

The Wiki entry for Lychnis coronaria also says that other plants
called Dusty Miller are Jacobaea maritima (silver ragwort)
http://tinyurl.com/pn27ece and Centaurea cineraria
http://tinyurl.com/ptdyvhd.

Oh, the joys of common names!

Thanks all. This shows how confusing common names can be. You all
think of different plants. I must have another chat with my friend but
she said TALL so I think probably she has the Lychnis. It seems to fit
her description. It's not a primula, as she knows those!
Thank you.