Old 09-08-2015, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing lawn?

I have a VERY small lawn at the bottom of my back yard/garden (patch of
grass might be a better description), measuring approximately 2.8m x 3.3m.

Trouble is its very patchy and course. Tried overseeing, new grass looked
fine at first, but didn't really take hold and died off over winter. One
corner appears to be over run with what looks like a type of clover (see
pics in links below).

Main problems appears to be the bottom of the garden is predominantly shady
(see pics in links below). The garden is West facing, Its overshadowed by an
oak tree in the bottom right corner, bounded either side by a 6ft fence and
there's a conifer to the left of the photo which doesn't help, not to
mention the garden shed in front of it and some large shrub in the field
behind that backs onto my place, so direct light is a major problem. Plus it
seems part of this "lawn" covers what may have been a gravel path .

Having battled in vain for several years for a nice green space at the
bottom of my garden/yard, I'm thinking maybe I should just ditch the idea of
grass and put something else down instead?

Don't really want gravel or slabs, was thinking maybe decking? Unless of
course there's some miracle grass that can grow through stony soil and loves
the shade?

Any suggestions?

First pic showing how shady it is (the patio stone in the middle was put
there by the previous occupant, I use it for standing a barbeque bucket on)
http://tinyurl.com/nd84bou

Second pic showing the somewhat invasive clover type of plant that covers a
large chunk of the corner
http://tinyurl.com/o8gvart

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Old 09-08-2015, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , darkangel5
@REMOVETHISBITlineone.net says...

[...]

Bad idea in damp shade under a tree; it will soon get slippery. Why not
use the coarsest-possible bark instead. Cheap, easy to handle, safe for
children and pets, easily topped up.

Janet
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon T" wrote in message
[...]

Some of the modern fake grass lawns are very convincing if you still fancy
green, be prepared to pay good money if you don't want it to look naff
though! Bark as already suggested is a good cheap solution, but if you have
mind your own business why not just spread that across the area.

What ever you do don't use stone chippings!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/08/2015 16:46, Simon T wrote:

I have a VERY small lawn at the bottom of my back yard/garden (patch of
grass might be a better description), measuring approximately 2.8m x 3.3m.

Trouble is its very patchy and course. Tried overseeing, new grass
looked fine at first, but didn't really take hold and died off over
winter. One corner appears to be over run with what looks like a type of
clover (see pics in links below).

Kill it all with glyphosate and start again.

Main problems appears to be the bottom of the garden is predominantly
shady (see pics in links below). The garden is West facing, Its
overshadowed by an oak tree in the bottom right corner, bounded either
side by a 6ft fence and there's a conifer to the left of the photo which
doesn't help, not to mention the garden shed in front of it and some
large shrub in the field behind that backs onto my place, so direct
light is a major problem. Plus it seems part of this "lawn" covers what
may have been a gravel path .

Having battled in vain for several years for a nice green space at the
bottom of my garden/yard, I'm thinking maybe I should just ditch the
idea of grass and put something else down instead?

My solution for impossible lawn location with dry and wet shade was to
have a fern garden instead. I have plenty of other lawn. Why fight
nature unnecessarily. Grow something there that likes those conditions.

Don't really want gravel or slabs, was thinking maybe decking? Unless of
course there's some miracle grass that can grow through stony soil and
loves the shade?

Any suggestions?

Decking will pick up algal slimes and be slippy under those conditions.
It is best suited to dry US states where it provides termite habitat.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the replies all.

Seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

What I was striving for was a nice, green, shady area I could sit in and
enjoy during the summer.

Not sure sitting, or laying on, bark chippings would be nice (plus I'm sure
the cats will use it as a toilet) and decking or paving will be slippery and
mouldy during the winter.

Damn!

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon T" wrote in message
[...]

there's fake lawn as someone else has suggested, they have it in my local
builders merchants and it does look very real - not like the cheap stuff on
a roll that greengrocers use.
It starts at £18 per metre plus vat, it's laid on grit and the underside is
sealed with a special tape, which you have to buy seperately, considering
it's such a small area, maybe this is worth a try, I certainly wouldn't pay
for a large area to be done.

I've guestimated this patch to be around £200 if you DIY, it may be cheaper
(but not quicker) to glyphosate the whole area, apply membrane, raise it up
4 inches with edging of some kind, (with the membrane going under the
edges), fill with fresh soil/compost and either turf or seed and see if that
makes any difference. The new stuff will be relatively weed-free, have a
decent depth of soil to grow in and might get more established and cope with
the shade a bit better.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I cant enlarge your second pic up enough to see if it is "Mind your own
business", if it is then it's not growing all that well either.
I suspect that your Lawn is in shade most of the time which is why you
have problems.
I would forget about trying to grow a lawn and would use artificial
turf; if it's good enough for the Women's world cup" then it should be
OK for you.
I wouldn't bother with the local builders merchant, google Artificial
turf and you will find a lot of suppliers such as
http://www.evergreensuk.com/
Contact them for samples and if needs be phone them for advice.
Beware of going for the cheapest, find out if you can see it used
locally to you before buying, You can even have it put down for you
though on such a small area the cost may be steep.