Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fine marker pens for labels?

I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly
any use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not
in use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good
quality product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the
old writing if I wish to reuse a label?
TIA
Old 11-08-2015, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly
any use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not
in use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good
quality product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the
old writing if I wish to reuse a label?
TIA

The Sharpie ones are as good as any for permanence and fine lines.
But they won't last if you leave them in hot sunshine.

Ink is pretty long lasting. Meths will clean it off labels.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-08-2015, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly
any use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not
in use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good
quality product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the
old writing if I wish to reuse a label?
TIA

Look in any stationers for OHP marker pens.e.g.Staedler permanent (with
a black body). They come in a variety of line widths - fine is possibly
the best. The ink can be cleaned off with methsbut afthe a period of
time will stain the label. It might be worth bipping your existing pens
in meths for a minute or so and then letting them stand for a few hrs.

Malcolm
Old 11-08-2015, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly any
use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not in
use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good quality
product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the old writing
if I wish to reuse a label?

We use a Brother labeller, permanent if you want it to be, peels off easily
leaving a clean label. Selling them at Costco for under £10.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly any
use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not in
use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good quality
product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the old writing
if I wish to reuse a label?
TIA

Soft pencil lasts as long as anything else!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Broadback" wrote in message

I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly any
use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not in
use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good quality
product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the old writing
if I wish to reuse a label?

Soft pencil lasts as long as anything else!

+1

For cleaning off old labels ( only when no room left on either side or
either end) I use a brillo pad.

Yup. Artists' supplies or even a carpenter's pencil are excellent,
though I use a 3B that I picked up from somewhere. I use Barkeeper's
Friend, because I bought some for another purpose and am using it up,
but fine sand would do as would any of the pads used for rubbing down
paintwork. I do all of mine once a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-08-2015, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly any
use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not in
use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good quality
product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the old writing
if I wish to reuse a label?

TIA

I use pencils on labels.

Old 13-08-2015, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2015 12:13 AM, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with
hardly any use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on
when not in use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can
obtain a good quality product please? As an aside what is the best way
to remove the old writing if I wish to reuse a label?
TIA

Soft pencil lasts as long as anything else!

I agree. I bought a pile of 4B pencils and a pile of the little erasers
that go on top of pencils. I use these in my potting up on my cut to
size old margarine tub labels and also for doing my Sudoku. In terms of
satisfaction for 'job well done', I rate my pencils with erasers very
highly.
Old 13-08-2015, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2015 01:05, Christina Websell wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I recently purchased a pack of 2, they lasted about a week, with hardly any
use, then "dried up", before anyone asks I kept the tops on when not in
use. I would like a recommendation as to where I can obtain a good quality
product please? As an aside what is the best way to remove the old writing
if I wish to reuse a label?

TIA

I use pencils on labels.

Many thanks for all the useful replies. So pencil from now on! :- )

Plant marker ? Gary & Karen Gardening 0 24-07-2005 05:20 PM
[IBC] China marker for potting dates Jim Bonsai 7 12-03-2004 11:25 PM
[IBC] China marker for potting dates Jim Bonsai 0 12-03-2004 04:01 PM
Plant marker gary Gardening 0 07-08-2003 09:02 PM
Recommend a copper marker brand? johannmon Gardening 0 31-03-2003 05:32 AM