Old 24-01-2016, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bean's Trees and Shrubs

Whilst browsing for some tree info I came across the following, which
might be of interest.

"Bean's Trees and Shrubs Hardy in the British Isles" is a very useful
source of information. The International Dendrology Society has made the
text of the four volumes from the 70s and the 1988 supplement freely
available at:

http://www.beanstreesandshrubs.org

An update book, "New Trees: Recent Introductions to Cultivation", was
published in 2009, but is not available online (more info at
http://www.kew.org/publications/newtrees_presspack.pdf for those
interested and who have a spare £99!).

--

Jeff
Old 24-01-2016, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 08:57:39 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Whilst browsing for some tree info I came across the following, which
might be of interest.

"Bean's Trees and Shrubs Hardy in the British Isles" is a very useful
source of information. The International Dendrology Society has made the
text of the four volumes from the 70s and the 1988 supplement freely
available at:

http://www.beanstreesandshrubs.org

An update book, "New Trees: Recent Introductions to Cultivation", was
published in 2009, but is not available online (more info at
http://www.kew.org/publications/newtrees_presspack.pdf for those
interested and who have a spare £99!).

Thanks for this Jeff, the online Bean's is a great resource and I've
bookmarked it. I actually have an old 3-volume Bean that my wife dug up
online a few years ago, but of course it's not very up to date.

It's very nice that on the site they not only give the name according to
Bean but also the modern "accepted name", although is seems for some what
is accepted varies weekly or is subject of some dispute...

When "New trees" came out I blanched at the price and decided to wait
until a used copy came available.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 24-01-2016, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/16 13:17, Martin wrote:
On 24 Jan 2016 13:03:45 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

[...]

There are lots of second hand copies at around £8-£20 a volume on
www.abebooks.com

I am pretty sure that Emery was referring to "New Trees: Recent
Introductions to Cultivation", not the older Bean volumes.

--

Jeff
Old 24-01-2016, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/16 13:03, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

You are welcome, Emery. Although I love browsing through books, I find
that electronic versions are much quicker for searching.

--

Jeff
Old 24-01-2016, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:44:03 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I am pretty sure that Emery was referring to "New Trees: Recent
Introductions to Cultivation", not the older Bean volumes.

Yes that's true. I appreciate the thought though, thanks Martin.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy