Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Default roses

Hello,
I have an area inside my gates at both sides of the entrance that is covered in a weed suppressant fabric and on top of that are little stones. I have a few evergreen shrubs planted there. I fell in love with two roses last week and of course had to have them. My question is can I plant the roses there. Advice greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2017 00:35, kerrygirl wrote:
Hello,
I have an area inside my gates at both sides of the entrance that is
covered in a weed suppressant fabric and on top of that are little
stones. I have a few evergreen shrubs planted there. I fell in love with
two roses last week and of course had to have them. My question is can I
plant the roses there. Advice greatly appreciated.

You can plant anything you like there, whether it will grow and do well
is another question!

Mike
Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Thank you both so much. It's the proper fabric Chris, thanks for your advice. I love roses but I need to educate myself more about them
Old 06-07-2017, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/17 10:38, Chris Hogg wrote:

But I don't think now is a good time to do it. I'm no rose expert, but
I would have thought spring or possibly autumn is the right time for
planting stuff, including roses, but not just before what could be a
hot dry summer. If you must plant them now, remember to keep them
watered.

Shouldn't be a problem - after all, the garden centres tell us that it's
OK to plant a containerised plant ta any time of the year! With a
weedproof membrane, and a "mulch" of stones, the rose will get off to a
good start if the OP follows your advice - particularly the bit about
keeping them watered!

With the vast number of plants being bought at a tropically-hot Hampton
Court show today, I reckon there will be quite a few which get planted
in the next few days. Whether they will get watered enough is another
matter...

--

Jeff
Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Thank you both for replying. Just wondering Janet, did you put any kind of fertiliser into the hole. When I googled about roses everyone keeps mentioned bonemeal.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2017 08:26, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 21:21:57 +0100, kerrygirl
wrote:

Thank you both for replying. Just wondering Janet, did you put any kind
of fertiliser into the hole. When I googled about roses everyone keeps
mentioned bonemeal.

It's generally believed* that roses do well with a feed high in
phosphate. Bone is calcium phosphate, so is a rich source of the
phosphate required by roses. Bone meal is slow to break down in the
soil, so provides a slow trickle of phosphate feed. It also contains a
little bit of nitrogen which is useful.

Hoof and horn, that I also mentioned, is also slow to break down in
the soil, but provides mostly nitrogen and not much phosphate. A bit
of both might be a good idea, and fish, blood and bone would be an
alternative, containing both phosphate and nitrogen, and also
potassium, but may break down more rapidly.

*but whether proven, I don't know.

This advice to use Blood fish and bone or Hoof and horn are all very
well but do be aware that if you have foxes running over your ground
then if they get one sniff of either they will dig up everything trying
to find the food they believe to be buried.
I would use Vitax Q4 instead.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kerrygirl.13d448b2
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Thank you both for replying. Just wondering Janet, did you put any kind
of fertiliser into the hole. When I googled about roses everyone keeps
mentioned bonemeal.

Bonemeal is fine.

I used rich home-made compost in the planting hole.

Janet.