Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Jim W

Default Water Butts, and manual pumps..

Somwhere on the thread on waterbutts someone asked about 'old fashioned'
stirrup type or manual pumps. I just noticed that Machine Mart are
selling a good range of repro 'town pump' style pumps from about 20
quid, that *might* be suitable..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/

If anyone knows of any other sources post here.
//
Jim
Old 12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Druss

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fupbv1.wtu4r5x42wvN%00senetnospam@macunlimit ed.net...
Somwhere on the thread on waterbutts someone asked about 'old fashioned'
stirrup type or manual pumps. I just noticed that Machine Mart are
selling a good range of repro 'town pump' style pumps from about 20
quid, that *might* be suitable..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/

If anyone knows of any other sources post here.
//
Jim

I think that may have been me, and the site you recommend is top notch, many
many thanks. I have my eye on one of the smaller models, £24 inc VAT and
delivery, not bad, all I need to do now is work out how to fit/attach it to
the waterbutts at the top of the garden. Then work up the energy to actually
fit it !!!

Cheers
Duncan

Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim W

Druss wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fupbv1.wtu4r5x42wvN%00senetnospam@macunlimit ed.net...
Somwhere on the thread on waterbutts someone asked about 'old fashioned'
stirrup type or manual pumps. I just noticed that Machine Mart are
selling a good range of repro 'town pump' style pumps from about 20
quid, that *might* be suitable..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/

If anyone knows of any other sources post here.
//
Jim

I think that may have been me, and the site you recommend is top notch, many
many thanks. I have my eye on one of the smaller models, £24 inc VAT and
delivery, not bad, all I need to do now is work out how to fit/attach it to
the waterbutts at the top of the garden. Then work up the energy to actually
fit it !!!

Cheers
Duncan

Glad to be of help.. I had just got their new catalogue and seeing
those rang a bell somewhere in the back of my mind. I would guess you
just need to attach a long pipe to the base of the pump and mount it on
something but not sure how well this will work.. Let us know if it
does..

What I am keeping my eye out for is an old style 'stirrup' type pump or
similar.. That said solar power is getting more feasible for gardens.

Raintanks do a small pump for water nuts and suchlike I think.. Hmmm
Might take a look.

/
Jim
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Druss

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fuv8c0.1py33vi1xy0sjcN%00senetnospam@macunli mited.net...
Druss wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
[...]

I paid the "local" swindon machinemart a visit the other day, and was told
that these, "fully functional" pumps are meant as ornamental objects, which
I thought was a bit much given their advert which specifically states they
can pump up to XX metres.
I think I might give up and embrace modern technology and go with a small
submersible pump, it's just not as romantic though !!!
Duncan

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Jim W

Druss wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
[...]

Tssss! I'd agree with what you said.. I hope their woodburning stoves
aren't like they're pumps.. I know someone who's thinking of buying
one. Personally I'd be on to trading standards about this.. Its either
fit for the use for which it was sold or it isn't. You can't have it one
way in the cat. and another in the shop.

If you still want a manual pump why not consult somewhere like the CAT?
http://www.cat.org.uk/ That sort of thing is just up their street
come to think of it.
//
Jim

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article 1fvoszr.1ktjf4imlq6bkN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net,
Jim W wrote:

Tssss! I'd agree with what you said.. I hope their woodburning stoves
aren't like they're pumps.. I know someone who's thinking of buying
one. Personally I'd be on to trading standards about this.. Its either
fit for the use for which it was sold or it isn't. You can't have it one
way in the cat. and another in the shop.

The criteria for 'fit for use' are pretty weak, but that does sound
extreme.

If you still want a manual pump why not consult somewhere like the CAT?
http://www.cat.org.uk/ That sort of thing is just up their street
come to think of it.

I would recommend chasing along to a chandlers (of the small boat and
yacht variety). A bilge pump should do the job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Dee

How about these

http://www.pump.co.uk/shopping/index.php?group=834

AndyP

Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Druss

Jim W wrote:

Tssss! I'd agree with what you said.. I hope their woodburning stoves
aren't like they're pumps.. I know someone who's thinking of buying
one. Personally I'd be on to trading standards about this.. Its either
fit for the use for which it was sold or it isn't. You can't have it one
way in the cat. and another in the shop.

The criteria for 'fit for use' are pretty weak, but that does sound
extreme.

If you still want a manual pump why not consult somewhere like the CAT?
http://www.cat.org.uk/ That sort of thing is just up their street
come to think of it.

I would recommend chasing along to a chandlers (of the small boat and
yacht variety). A bilge pump should do the job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

These look like a very practical solution but don't carry quite the charm
of "ye olde worlde" cast iron style pump. Part of the objective was a
practical and good looking solution. Though I am beginning to think that
this is going to be either very expensive to buy or very painful to run.
Cheers
Duncan

Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Druss

"Dee" wrote in message ...
How about these

http://www.pump.co.uk/shopping/index.php?group=834

AndyP

These do look like exactly the same makes that MachineMart were selling.
However i'll enquire fingers crossed.
Duncan

Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Druss
writes
Jim W wrote:
I would recommend chasing along to a chandlers (of the small boat and
yacht variety). A bilge pump should do the job.

These look like a very practical solution but don't carry quite the charm
of "ye olde worlde" cast iron style pump. Part of the objective was a
practical and good looking solution. Though I am beginning to think that
this is going to be either very expensive to buy or very painful to run.

Depending on how much work the thing is expected to do you could use a
small immersible pump intended really for solar fountains. I have been
doing that successfully to pump water out of my rainwater reserve for a
couple of years (the pump itself is about 3" x 1" and good for 7
L/minute). Surplus shops like Bull Electrical have them for around £20.

Fiddle a switch into your pretty pump and you have a painless solution.

I use mine with a timer and micro irrigation system. You also need a
filter to stop mozzie larvae entering and clogging up the jets on the
various drip outlets.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown