Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden arch

I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

--

Jeff
Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Feb 2018 10:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

Just got rid of a cheap thin tubing Obelisk that we had for about 20
years because it was failing at the mend I made when some oik pulled
it over. I sprayed the inside of all tubing with rust preventative
before erecting.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2018 10:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

You can use Black MDPE water piping, first put steel reinforcing bars in
where you want the vertical posts, height of these needs to be the same
as your intended vertical height, slide the pipe down over horizontals
again need the reinforcing bars to be straight. looks fine once covered
in plants!

on another topic Jeff, was it you that also has a plant of Holboellia
angustifolia from Crug? Got fed up with mine sulking in a pot so bunged
it out last year and its raced away!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10-Feb-18 3:27 PM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 10:13:44 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

My wife got fed up with thin tube arches rusting. She made two arches out of
wood. They've lasted years already.

Likewise - worth using metal post holders as wood in contact with soil
will rot.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/18 17:33, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 10/02/2018 10:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

You can use Black MDPE water piping, first put steel reinforcing bars in
where you want the vertical posts, height of these needs to be the same
as your intended vertical height, slide the pipe down over horizontals
again need the reinforcing bars to be straight. looks fine once covered
in plants!

Interesting idea! That pipe is good enough for polytunnels, so would be
strong enough. I'm not sure The Management would like it until it got
covered as there would be two arches of it in the front garden in a very
visible position. It's not that cheap, either (though cheaper than the
Poppy Forge stuff). Not so much the pipe itself, but I reckon I'd need
at least 16 (possibly 24) T joints for horizontals. Those are around a
fiver each.

on another topic Jeff, was it you that also has a plant of Holboellia
angustifolia from Crug? Got fed up with mine sulking in a pot so bunged
it out last year and its raced away!

No, it wasn't me, although I did put in an H. coriacea last year. It has
steadfastly refused to do anything. But I planted it only a metre from a
16m+ ash tree, so it has some root competition to contend with! Maybe
it'll get away this year. I've never bought anything from Crug mainly
due to the price, but they also sell a lot of things which would be
dubiously hardy down here (better to try the North Vietnamese stuff
where you are!). Always fascinating to read about the plants on their
website, though.

Will you be at Longstock again this year?

--

Jeff

Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

My wife got fed up with thin tube arches rusting. She made two arches out of
wood. They've lasted years already.

Likewise - worth using metal post holders as wood in contact with soil
will rot.

Agreed, but if the wood is properly tanalised it should last years even
in contact with the soil. That would have been true many years ago when
really effective (though highly toxic) preservatives were used, but
those have been banned. Decent wooden arches aren't cheap, and if you
add the price of 4 metposts, they work out a lot more than the metal arch.

--

Jeff
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

I've never done it, but could you assemble something from ordinary
copper pipe, 15 or 22 mm to taste, with standard soldered joints?
e.g. http://bit.ly/2EYNKdr or http://bit.ly/2nXLZox
No idea of the relative cost though.

Another interesting option - and they'd most certainly look good when
covered in verdigris! But just looking at Screwfix costs, a pack of 10 x
2m x 22mm is £112.90. 22mm Tee joints are are £2 each. I don't have the
facilities to bend copper (nor to solder it for that matter), so that
would add complications. I'd also be a bit concerned about how strong
copper tubing is. And adding steel rebar support internally is just
asking for galvanic corrosion! Mind you, would I be able to tap into the
free electricity? ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/02/2018 08:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Yes we are booked in to do Longstock.

You dont need the fittings by the way I just use wood screws and pilot
hole. But I can see there may be issues if it has to look great from day
one!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 5:19:45 PM UTC, Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

I just used MDPE for a pair of cloches and slotted the hoops into tanalised 2"x 1". The only difficult bit was getting 20mm holes in the timber. I used a flat bit, but after 28 holes the bit and I were knackered. Should have used an auger type bit I think.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 10:13:46 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm fed up with the Gardman thin tube junk rusting within a couple of
years, so have been looking for something much more substantial (and
expensive). Anyone got any experience of Poppy Forge - specifically the
Arcadia Arch? See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Forge-Unique-Arcadia-Flexible/dp/B00IHZJ5ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518210523&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy+forge

But available cheaper elsewhere.

--

Jeff

I find a local blacksmith making stuff out of solid steel the best solution and not so expensive,

Jonathan

Old 14-02-2018, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2018 17:33, Charlie Pridham wrote:

You can use Black MDPE water piping, first put steel reinforcing bars in
where you want the vertical posts, height of these needs to be the same
as your intended vertical height, slide the pipe down over horizontals
again need the reinforcing bars to be straight. looks fine once covered
in plants!

Spurred on by this posts I've been looking at alternative materials to
make a 2.5m high plant frame for climbing plants.

20mm black (or white) electrical conduit pipe appears strong enough to
remain vertical without additional internal supports and its around 50p
per metre for single pipe lengths (comes in 2 or 3 metre lengths).

Example
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...Conduit/p12598

Also available from places such as screwfix and other electrical retail
outlets. Depending on the retailer cheaper if purchased in bundles of 20
or 30 pipes.

Old 14-02-2018, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:

20mm black (or white) electrical conduit pipe appears strong enough to
remain vertical without additional internal supports and its around 50p
per metre for single pipe lengths (comes in 2 or 3 metre lengths).

Where the black conduit has been fixed to walls, without leaving a
suitable expansion gap at joints and junction boxes, I've seen it warp
horribly in hot weather, whether than means it gets sufficiently soft
that it can't support its own weight I don't know ...

Rose Arch MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 0 06-09-2005 10:53 PM
Rose Arch / Gazebo MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 1 10-08-2005 11:02 PM
nice rose to cover an arch- suggestions please! melanie United Kingdom 0 04-07-2004 10:36 AM
Climbers for my arch (part 2) Pam Morris United Kingdom 9 19-09-2003 10:01 AM
Climbers for my arch Pam Morris United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 09:42 AM