Old 17-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Pam Morris

Default Climbers for my arch (part 2)

Well, it seems I was right in checking with the group before buying the
plants!!

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

So what would the urglers recommend?

TIA,

Pam

Old 17-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:24:39 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

Pam, from Pam!
Which part of the country are you in?
In the warm south or sheltered area you could try trachelospermum
jasminoides but it is not guaranteed hardy, better against a wall.
Quite expensive but has glossy leaves and scented flowers in summer.
How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.
Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
scented.
Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

No way would trop spec do on an arch. I have seen it at its best
scrambling through other bushes on acid soils.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

Pam, from Pam!
Which part of the country are you in?

Quite a major matter.

In the warm south or sheltered area you could try trachelospermum
jasminoides but it is not guaranteed hardy, better against a wall.
Quite expensive but has glossy leaves and scented flowers in summer.
How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.

Ditto not guaranteed hardy, though I have planted one again this
year, assuming that the current mild winters will continue. Watch
out for the white one being S. jasminoides - that is seriously tender.

Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
scented.

I can't grow it, and suspect that it may not like dry soil.

Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

And again not totally hardy, especially in the open, but fine in
most of the country.

No way would trop spec do on an arch. I have seen it at its best
scrambling through other bushes on acid soils.

It might in north west Scotland :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Pam Morris" contains these words:

Well, it seems I was right in checking with the group before buying the
plants!!

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

So what would the urglers recommend?

I've just acquired a tall hardy fuchsia called Lady Boothby, whose
label claims she can "climb" (with tying-in support) to 7ft. If it's
true, the big red and purple flowers would look lovely hanging down from
an arch. Mine is destined to be trained up a railing on the outside
steps.

Has anyone else grown it?

Janet.

Old 18-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Pam Morris

wrote:

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft

tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

Pam, from Pam!
Which part of the country are you in?

I'm in north Kent. House is situated almost at the top of a hill - the
house over the road is higher while the house that shares my end of garden
boundary is lower than mine. The arch is about halfway between the house
and the end of the garden. Soil is quite chalky and the planting area for
the climbers will be cut out from the existing lawn (or what pretends to be
a lawn!) and then refilled with decent soil/compost.

snipped

How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.

This was an early possibility that I considered - can't remember now why I
crossed it off!

Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
scented.
Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

Aren't clematis moody if you don't prune them just so and at the right time?

snipped

Thanks,

Pam in Bristol

Pam in Kent.

Old 18-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Pam Morris" writes:
| "Pam Moore" wrote in message
|
| How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
| one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.
|
| This was an early possibility that I considered - can't remember now why I
| crossed it off!

It's worth a go, largely as it grows fast, but I still recommend
Campsis - they would go together, incidentally! DON'T get fooled
into buying Solanum jasminoides by somwhere that says it is hardy.

| Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
| scented.
| Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
| vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.
|
| Aren't clematis moody if you don't prune them just so and at the right time?

Some are; some aren't. C. armandii is, a bit, but the rules aren't
hard to follow. It is a bit of a nuisance to keep down to a small
space, and still get decent flowering, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-09-2003, 06:32 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Pam Morris
writes
Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

Aren't clematis moody if you don't prune them just so and at the right
time?

I'm in SE London but postally in Kent. I'm on London loam rather than
chalk. I have a C. armandii growing over an arch quite close to the
house so it's probably protected a bit. C. armandii flowers in the
spring on the previous year's growth so you have to bear that in mind
when pruning it (prune it after it's finished flowering (and not later
in the year) for maximum flowers next year). It took a while to get
going but now it's very vigorous.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 19-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Liverpool

Quote:
Originally posted by dave @ stejonda
In message , Pam Morris
writes
Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

Aren't clematis moody if you don't prune them just so and at the right
time?

I'm in SE London but postally in Kent. I'm on London loam rather than
chalk. I have a C. armandii growing over an arch quite close to the
house so it's probably protected a bit. C. armandii flowers in the
spring on the previous year's growth so you have to bear that in mind
when pruning it (prune it after it's finished flowering (and not later
in the year) for maximum flowers next year). It took a while to get
going but now it's very vigorous.

--
dave @ stejonda
andrew bebb

climbing roses wedding arch in australia jils Roses 4 25-11-2005 12:51 AM
Rose Arch MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 0 06-09-2005 10:53 PM
Rose Arch / Gazebo MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 1 10-08-2005 11:02 PM
nice rose to cover an arch- suggestions please! melanie United Kingdom 0 04-07-2004 10:36 AM
Climbers for my arch Pam Morris United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 09:42 AM