Old 27-08-2018, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cleaning Paving

Hi Folks,

I would like to clean a build up of moss off my patio area, I have a
power-washer to do the final clean but it has struggled in the past with
some of the larger build up of moss in some areas. Can anyone recommend any
of the cleaning agents that you water/brush on and leave to dry or are they
a much-of-a-muchness? I'm not bothered by whether it is 'organic' or
'chemical-free' or any of that nonsense, I just want something that works.

Cheers

Old 27-08-2018, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/18 12:21, Endulini wrote:
Hi Folks,

I would like to clean a build up of moss off my patio area, I have a
power-washer to do the final clean but it has struggled in the past with
some of the larger build up of moss in some areas. Can anyone recommend any
of the cleaning agents that you water/brush on and leave to dry or are they
a much-of-a-muchness? I'm not bothered by whether it is 'organic' or
'chemical-free' or any of that nonsense, I just want something that works.

Cheers

I'd be interested in a recommendation, too.

What sort of power-washer head are you talking about? IME, the rotating
heads do not clean anywhere near as well as the standard lances, but
then again they don't make anywhere near the mess that lances do.

--

Jeff
Old 27-08-2018, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2018 13:01, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Biological washing powder kills moss very well. Very good on lawns as it
does not affect the grass. Not tried it on stone though.
Old 28-08-2018, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2018 14:31, Broadback wrote:
[...]

Mainly because it is so caustic.

Very good on lawns as it
does not affect the grass. Not tried it on stone though.

Ferrous ammonium sulphate works even better on lawns. Kills the moss by
making its chlorophyll go black and gives the grass a nitrogen boost.
Don't ever get it on paths though unless you like rusty iron stains.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-08-2018, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2018 13:16, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Sold as sulphate of iron (chemically I believe is ferrous sulphate)

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 28-08-2018, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2018 15:57, Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

It works better as iron sulphate cut with ammonium sulphate and sharp
sand so you can see where you have treated (sold as lawn sand).

You can also apply as a liquid dissolving some of each in a watering
can. Iron sulphate on its own will make the moss black but potentially
burn the grass if applied too strongly. The ammonium salt gives the
grass a bit of a boost at the same time. The two together work more
effectively than either one component on its own.

I typically buy spring grass feed about now when the garden centres are
selling it off cheap to make way for Dracula's Cavern/Santa's Grotto.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-09-2018, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2018 12:21, Endulini wrote:
Hi Folks,

I would like to clean a build up of moss off my patio area, I have a
power-washer to do the final clean but it has struggled in the past with
some of the larger build up of moss in some areas. Can anyone recommend any
of the cleaning agents that you water/brush on and leave to dry or are they
a much-of-a-muchness? I'm not bothered by whether it is 'organic' or
'chemical-free' or any of that nonsense, I just want something that works.

Cheers

Your question seems to have been hijacked to lawn care! Had major
problem with assorted stains incuding the dreaded black lichen. After
research I used simple undiluted kitchen bleach brushed onto a moistened
surface which is then kept damp with fine spray if needed. Brush firmly
but don't go mad. Leave for a couple of hours, repeat if needed then
hose off. Had no effect on grass where pavers met the lawn.