Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's getting silly now.

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2018 16:18, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:57:58 +0100, Bob Hobden
wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Perhaps they're stocked later in the year when it gets cold and people
are flocking to buy them.

More likely they have already thrown out/sold off all their gardening
related stock to make more room for dracula's cave/santa's grotto.
(delete as appropriate)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Perhaps they're stocked later in the year when it gets cold and people
are flocking to buy them.

We had a light frost here the other night so if they intend to stock
them it's a bit late.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 02-10-2018, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/18 15:57, Bob Hobden wrote:
Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

No doubt too busy setting up displays for Halloween and Christmas crap. :-)

I've never understood what makes "greenhouse" fan heaters so special
that they seem to cost two or three times as much as a house fan heater!
Tested compliance with IPX4, perhaps? FWIW, I've been using cheap "Glen"
fan heaters in my greenhouses for nearly 20 years. I've only had two, in
fact, in all that time. And I've not exactly been careful with watering;
but in all that time I've never had an RCD trip (which I've /always/
used with them).

Anyway, lots of IPX4 -compliant heaters here, many of which have
differing power levels and/or built-in thermostats:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=ipx4+heaters&rh=n%3A11052681%2Ck%3Ai px4+heaters&qid=1538493796&sort=price-asc-rank

--

Jeff
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Perhaps they're stocked later in the year when it gets cold and people
are flocking to buy them.

They will be stocking cheap tat (sold expensively) for Halloween now and
later on cheap tat (sold expensively) for Christmas

Old 02-10-2018, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/18 15:57, Bob Hobden wrote:
Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

I don't know whether it's because I *know* the range of products
available, or whether shops have become useless, but I am forever in
this position.

Went in a garden centre and asked for some spagnum moss (for a fly
eating type plant).

"We don't keep that sir"

"Que?"

But to be fair, if the shop does keep product type X, I often know
there's a better system of type X that, if I have to spend money, then I
really want that one, not one I've deemed inferior.

And I've had so many duff garden tools from GCs (trowels that fold in
half when you use them) that I'd rather trust Amazon reviews now.

Some of the problem is it is impossible to stock the range of what's
available online (effectively everything made anywhere, to all intents).

But some of it they bring on themselves, eg the "folding trowels".

The latter: Stock a value range and a quality range. The value range
shouldn't fold in half either, but will be cheaper plastic handles, will
rust and be less comfortable. The quality range simply must NOT bend in
half on first use, must last years and be nice to use.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2018 17:52, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

If you want Spagnum moss then the bestplace is a wholesale florist who
will probably still have some for those wanting to make traditional wreaths.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 17:52:47 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

All you probably need is a handfull. Try your local park.
--
Jim S
Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:57:58 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Try buying weedkiller or compost.
All gardening must stop.
Signed Santa Claus.
--
Jim S
Old 03-10-2018, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2018 11:51, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:57:58 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Try buying weedkiller or compost.

The compost is usually outside and so still available. If you go at the
right time though you can get spring weed and feed for next to nothing.

All gardening must stop.
Signed Santa Claus.

Dracula tends to get his fangs in first round here. Bargains to be had.

Ranks of sinister Lindt Xmas chocolate reindeer are already massing on
the shelves. They will be appearing at summer solstice next!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 08-10-2018, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

Perhaps they're stocked later in the year when it gets cold and people
are flocking to buy them.

More likely they have already thrown out/sold off all their gardening
related stock to make more room for dracula's cave/santa's grotto.
(delete as appropriate)

Isn't that just the truth.

is it silly? ed Roses 19 10-02-2004 01:38 AM
Silly question... John Kingscott Bonsai 1 08-12-2003 02:03 PM
Silly Question about Onc. Sharry Baby Bacchae Orchids 2 17-10-2003 02:02 AM
Silly question Cereoid+10 Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Silly question about climbing french beans: swroot United Kingdom 4 24-04-2003 06:56 PM