Old 28-10-2018, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rusty Paving Slabs

Due to leaving a packet of Ferrous sulphate out on a raily day,
I've now got rusty slabs!

I've tried scrubbing them, which has helped a bit, but am
wondering if there is anything I can do to clean them up
properly, borrow a hgih pressure spray?, apply some chemical?

Whatever as it is only a small area, it must leave the slabs
looking like the remainder of the patio, otherwise swmbo will
continue to moan

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 29-10-2018, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2018 15:28, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Due to leaving a packet of Ferrous sulphate out on a raily day,
I've now got rusty slabs!

I've tried scrubbing them, which has helped a bit, but am
wondering if there is anything I can do to clean them up
properly, borrow a hgih pressure spray?, apply some chemical?

Whatever as it is only a small area, it must leave the slabs
looking like the remainder of the patio, otherwise swmbo will
continue to moan

I don't think a pressure washer will do it as I've had the same on
paving adjoining the lawn and the annual pressure wash didn't take it
off, mind you it was months in between.

Try brick cleaner that may work as its very good at removing rust from
steel.

Mike
Old 29-10-2018, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Muddymike writes
On 28/10/2018 15:28, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Due to leaving a packet of Ferrous sulphate out on a raily day,
I've now got rusty slabs!
I've tried scrubbing them, which has helped a bit, but am
wondering if there is anything I can do to clean them up
properly, borrow a hgih pressure spray?, apply some chemical?
Whatever as it is only a small area, it must leave the slabs
looking like the remainder of the patio, otherwise swmbo will
continue to moan

I don't think a pressure washer will do it as I've had the same on
paving adjoining the lawn and the annual pressure wash didn't take it
off, mind you it was months in between.

Try brick cleaner that may work as its very good at removing rust from
steel.

Mike

Any possibility of painting the affected slabs with a matching colour?
Anyone who has spilt a tin of paint on paving slabs will confirm that
even if immediate attempts are made to remove it, the tell-tale signs
can last for years (if not for ever). Several coats of well-thinned
emulsion, artistically dabbed on, might help the stained slabs to blend
in.
--
Ian
Old 29-10-2018, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:
Due to leaving a packet of Ferrous sulphate out on a raily day,
I've now got rusty slabs!

I've tried scrubbing them, which has helped a bit, but am
wondering if there is anything I can do to clean them up
properly, borrow a hgih pressure spray?, apply some chemical?

Whatever as it is only a small area, it must leave the slabs
looking like the remainder of the patio, otherwise swmbo will
continue to moan

Sort of a nuclear option, but I used Ferrous Sulphate to make mine /all/
brown. I prefer them like that. I did that after I failed to find a
way to get the stains off.

Old 29-10-2018, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/10/2018 11:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Due to leaving a packet of Ferrous sulphate out on a raily day,
I've now got rusty slabs!

I've tried scrubbing them, which has helped a bit, but am
wondering if there is anything I can do to clean them up
properly, borrow a hgih pressure spray?, apply some chemical?

Whatever as it is only a small area, it must leave the slabs
looking like the remainder of the patio, otherwise swmbo will
continue to moan

Sort of a nuclear option, but I used Ferrous Sulphate to make mine /all/
brown.Â* I prefer them like that.Â* I did that after I failed to find a
way to get the stains off.

Another option is to stand a large pot or urn on the stain and just hide it.
Old 29-10-2018, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In message ,
Muddymike writes
[...]

My Grandmother scraped and saved for a long time to redecorate the
spare room. She painted the walls in pale yellow emulsion, then started
painting the woodwork in grey gloss. An oops with the brush resulted in
a prominent grey splodge on the pale yellow, which would not come off.

Her solution was to add artistic grey gloss splodges at random top to
bottom over all four walls. It was like leprosy, not a good look.

Janet