Old 11-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Stephen Goodall

Default Apple tree advice plz.

I don't know if this is best practise but I always leave fruit on my tree as
I find the majority drop off in July and I am left with just a few to eat in
September.

"Mark" wrote in message
My apple trees are 3 yrs old now, so I'm going to let them fruit. However
one of them has hundreds of small apples forming in clusters of 5, is it
best to remove them and have just one apple on each cluster, or will this
occur naturally. I don't think it's strong enough to bear this amount of
fruit.

Thanks

Mark

Old 11-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Dwayne

I would leave them on also. Then if enough haven't fallen naturally, you
can pick them as needed. I believe peaches should be thinned so you can get
4 fingers between them on each branch.
I would imagine it would be the same for apples.

Dwayne

Old 11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Mark" contains these words:

My apple trees are 3 yrs old now, so I'm going to let them fruit. However
one of them has hundreds of small apples forming in clusters of 5, is it
best to remove them and have just one apple on each cluster, or will this
occur naturally. I don't think it's strong enough to bear this amount of
fruit.

Probably, most of them will drop off. If they don't, let them grow a bit
and then thin them, and make apple pie with the thinnings.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 12-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Mark

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message
The message
from "Mark" contains these words:

My apple trees are 3 yrs old now, so I'm going to let them fruit.

However
one of them has hundreds of small apples forming in clusters of 5, is it
best to remove them and have just one apple on each cluster, or will

this
occur naturally. I don't think it's strong enough to bear this amount of
fruit.

Probably, most of them will drop off. If they don't, let them grow a bit
and then thin them, and make apple pie with the thinnings.

I'll let things occur naturally then thanks.

Mark

Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Alan Holmes

"Mark" wrote in message
My apple trees are 3 yrs old now, so I'm going to let them fruit. However
one of them has hundreds of small apples forming in clusters of 5, is it
best to remove them and have just one apple on each cluster, or will this
occur naturally. I don't think it's strong enough to bear this amount of
fruit.

Wait until after the June drop, then look to thining them, depending on the
variety I would leave either one or two in a cluster.

Alan

Old 13-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Adrian Chapman

In article , Alan Holmes
wrote:

Wait until after the June drop, then look to thining them, depending on the
variety I would leave either one or two in a cluster.

I live next to a small orchard - around 100000 apple and pear trees
Only last week men were out there cutting off many branches festooned
with blossom. This was being done to increase the size of the apples
so maybe this is better than just thinning out the clusters. However,
I suspect thinning out clusters on thousands of trees might be a bit
too time consuming.

--
Adrian

"Theory and practice are the same in theory, but different in practice"