GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22590-dangers-weed-killers-glyphostae-aka-roundup-hidden-killer.html)

Michael Saunby 23-05-2003 01:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

You will be permitted to aruge that DDT is not a relevant
pesticide when it disappears from our environment and soils.

interesting that some of the largest users of DDT were public health
authorities

DDT is still permitted for public health use in some countries - it's a
damn fine product for killing mosquitoes; and malaria really does kill, so
it's only right that the judgement be made on the overall risks and
benefits not the scare mongering of eco loons. That use looks likely to
continue - see
http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/A...s/nextmee1.htm

Michael Saunby

Malcolm 23-05-2003 01:32 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

You will be permitted to aruge that DDT is not a relevant
pesticide when it disappears from our environment and soils.

interesting that some of the largest users of DDT were public health
authorities

DDT is still permitted for public health use in some countries - it's a
damn fine product for killing mosquitoes; and malaria really does kill, so
it's only right that the judgement be made on the overall risks and
benefits not the scare mongering of eco loons.

It's people like that who save you from yourself, and your families
family too. Mores the pity.
--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

Michelle Fulton 23-05-2003 02:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Oz" wrote in message

Best to buy it ready cooked in a tin.

Good. That's what I usually do with that particular type of bean. Thanks
for the info :-)

Jim Webster 23-05-2003 03:45 PM

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message
DDT is still permitted for public health use in some countries - it's

damn fine product for killing mosquitoes; and malaria really does kill, so
it's only right that the judgement be made on the overall risks and
benefits not the scare mongering of eco loons. That use looks likely to
continue - see

http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/A...Specs/nextmee1
..htm

Michael Saunby

James Mc Murtry "It had to Happen"

Track 5, "12 o clock whistle"

mentions city fathers having DDT sprayed from the water truck on the streets
of small town America. Meningitis and Malaria can kill
Jim Webster

Jim Webster 23-05-2003 03:45 PM

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
: : "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: : Our taste buds do their best to warn us about many plant toxins.
:
: : so you don't eat peppers?
:
: I often go easy on many pungent fruit and vegetables.
:
: I'm not sure what your point was - since the fruiting bodies of
: many peppers are neither particularly pungent nor terribly toxic.

: I think you better start doing some basic research, how pungent are red
: kidney beans

What are you on about now?

you said
: : Our taste buds do their best to warn us about many plant toxins.

so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney beans or
raw peppers

Jim Webster

Jim Webster 23-05-2003 03:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Robert Seago wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:

: Strawberries are one of the most pesticide-infected types of produce.
: They don't have natural toxins in. They are "designed" to be eaten by
: mammals like us. The fungicides sprayed on strawberries are toxic to
: animals like us. http://www.pesticideinfo.org/PCW/DS.jsp?sk='1016'
: lists the crap sprayed on strawberries. There can be no contest here.
:
: And I manage to grow them without a hint of pesticides.

As do I.

how many acres?

Jim Webster

Jim Webster 23-05-2003 03:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:

: If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why
: is it that if I keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days
: they rapidly become covered in white fuzz?

Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

Eventually the forces of decay win out.

exactly,

we all die as well

Jim Webster

Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
the interim they have served their purpose.
--
__________

Malcolm 23-05-2003 04:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

: Tim Tyler wrote:

: Strawberries are one of the most pesticide-infected types of produce.
: They don't have natural toxins in. They are "designed" to be eaten by
: mammals like us. The fungicides sprayed on strawberries are toxic to
: animals like us. http://www.pesticideinfo.org/PCW/DS.jsp?sk='1016'
: lists the crap sprayed on strawberries. There can be no contest here.
:
: And I manage to grow them without a hint of pesticides.

As do I.

how many acres?

Presumably as much as one can manage, if you cannot manage a crop
without drowning it in poisons, you're in the wrong game.

Try bin collector, bit harder work but prolly more suited.

Mike Humberston 23-05-2003 05:44 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Oz wrote:

Mike Humberston writes

If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why is it that if I
keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days they rapidly become
covered in white fuzz?

For pesticides there is a 'last spray to harvest' interval.

This is to ensure that the pesticide levels in the produce when sold is
below the required limit. For a 'programmed' spray plan the 'last spray'
is timed to easily miss the *earliest* harvest date because it's
unsalable until after that date.

Snip Oz's description of strawberry growing practises

Thanks Oz for your description.

So, am I correct if I think that TT is talking tosh when he implies that
strawberries are toxic?

Mike
(who eats very large quantities of English strawberries)

Mike Humberston 23-05-2003 05:44 PM

Tim Tyler wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:

: If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why
: is it that if I keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days
: they rapidly become covered in white fuzz?

Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

Because they don't remain on the fruit?

Eventually the forces of decay win out.

Because the fungicides are no longer present in sufficient quantities for them
to be effective?

Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
the interim they have served their purpose.

And the fruit is safe for the consumer to eat?

--
Mike Humberston
Barnes, London

WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.

Mike Humberston 23-05-2003 05:44 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler wrote:

A Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce
http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/Reports/.../Chapter2.html

American figures of little or no relevance to the UK (unless perhaps you eat
overpriced, tasteless strawberries imported from the US).

Tim Tyler 23-05-2003 06:00 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: So how many consumers are harmed by pesticides in the UK each year?

Probably all of them. Even organic produce contains pesticides.
Unless you stop eating and breathing you can't completely avoid them.

A recent study found fruit intake correlated with Parkinsons disease:

http://health.iwon.com/article/id/512534.html

The researcher's expected mechanism: pesticide exposure.

: You're stressing (which really does kill) over something that doesn't.

Uh - plenty of people have been killed by pesticides.

My interest may be based on personal reasons - pesticides can
harm me - whereas I'm happy with the risks posed by my intelligence.

: I'd like to care, but unfortunately it's just not in my nature, though I
: think you really should try and lighten up - I'm sure you'll live a longer
: and happier life if you do.

Pesticides are a serious issue. Attempting to gloss over the problem
is more likely to have a deleterious effect on your lifespan than
a positive one - IMO.
--
__________

Malcolm 23-05-2003 06:08 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:37:14 +0100, Mike Humberston
wrote:

Oz wrote:

Mike Humberston writes

If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why is it that if I
keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days they rapidly become
covered in white fuzz?

For pesticides there is a 'last spray to harvest' interval.

This is to ensure that the pesticide levels in the produce when sold is
below the required limit. For a 'programmed' spray plan the 'last spray'
is timed to easily miss the *earliest* harvest date because it's
unsalable until after that date.

Snip Oz's description of strawberry growing practises

Thanks Oz for your description.

So, am I correct if I think that TT is talking tosh when he implies that
strawberries are toxic?

Oh dear I smell a troll who doesn't like being shown up for a fool. it
is the usual way you end a topic, we are wise to it now loser.

Mike
(who eats very large quantities of English strawberries)

No doubt you do, something obviously affected your mind.

Tim Tyler 23-05-2003 06:08 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

: - http://www.caes.state.ct.us/FactShee...y/fsac003f.htm
:
:Washing with water /is/ an effective method of removing pesticide residues
:from the surface of produce.

: No actual figures were given, which is very odd.

: After all 'significantly reduced' in this context means a reduction from
: 100 parts to 95 parts, whilst for most people they would hope it means
: to under 50%.

The FDA gave a figure of 99% for washing for a fungicide off tomatoes:

``A 1990 report in the EPA Journal by three chemists from the agency, Joel
Garbus, Susan Hummel, and Stephanie Willet, summarized four studies of
fresh tomatoes treated with a fungicide, which were tested a harvest, at
the packing house, and at point of sale to the consumer. The studies
showed that more than 99 percent of the residues were washed off at the
packing house by the food processor.''

- http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-pes4.html

This is only relevant for produce that hasn't been washed, of course.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 23-05-2003 06:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:

: you said

: : : Our taste buds do their best to warn us about many plant toxins.

: so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney beans or
: raw peppers

It would prove nothing. I never claimed that all plant toxins were
detected - or that the efforts of our taste buds to warn us were
always successful.

....but OK - I reckon paleolithic man might have had red peppers now and
again - (that's what the paleolithic diet web sites say anyway) but I
doubt they ate many kidney beans.

Consequently - I'd go for the peppers seeming more palatable than the
beans - for someone with minimal knowledge of the nutrition involved.
--