GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22590-dangers-weed-killers-glyphostae-aka-roundup-hidden-killer.html)

BAC 27-05-2003 03:32 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

snip
I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife -

I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things better
for people, because they probably won't.

There's always likely to be trade offs. The sheep dip changes are probably
'better' for the people who use them, but 'worse' for invertebrates in
run-off watercourses, for example.

BAC 27-05-2003 03:47 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael Saunby" wrote:

However I'm still far from convinced that pesticide residues are harmful

people. The same arguments took place many decades ago over DDT. Those
who were most determined to get it banned recognised that the surest was

get a ban was to persuade the public it was harmful to them. It was a
dangerous game to play, because it wasn't directly harmful but it was
clearly being used in such a way as to harm many ecosystems. There will
comes a time when we have to make decisions to protect the environment

that
will present dangers to people, so it's about time we all started to

grow
up. If a thing is bad, it isn't necessarily bad for people, and if a

thing
is sometimes bad for people (wolves?) then it isn't always bad. I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife -

I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things

better
for people, because they probably won't.

Well said. You may be interested to know that in New Zealand the
Department of Conservation (affectionatly known as Doc) is a great and
avid user of roundup. They use it to clear persistent plant invaders so
that native plants and animals can get a fair crack of the whip.

Speaking of things toxic they have just announced that they have
rendered Campbell Island (Sth of NZ, sub antarctic), free of rats for
the first time in 200 years by dropping rat poison from helicopters.
this is very good news for the nesting seabirds and should see the
return of some species who had to be removed to predator free islands
for their own survival. toxins can be our friends too.

Yes, this is the 'success story' mentioned by Malcolm O in one of the ship
rat threads, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2938612.stm

This is also mentioned at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1456230.stm
(which makes clear the 200,000 rats in question were r. norvegicus, not r.
rattus, by the way) and alludes to the near disastrous start to the exercise
when 18 tonnes of the poison en route to the island for the eradication
programme was accidentally dumped in a whale breeding location, see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1346931.stm but no harm done,
apparently.

Michael Saunby 27-05-2003 03:56 PM

"BAC" wrote in message

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

snip
I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife -

I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things

better
for people, because they probably won't.

There's always likely to be trade offs. The sheep dip changes are

probably
'better' for the people who use them, but 'worse' for invertebrates in
run-off watercourses, for example.

I'm fine with trade offs, it's dishonesty that ****es me off. Control,
reduce, ban, whatever the use of pesticides and herbicides if it will
achieve some desired outcome, but don't lie about the reasons. Ban hunting
for reasons of puritanical distaste for sport - it that's what the ruling
class demand, but not for spurious reasons of least cruelty.

Attempting to constantly appeal to an ignorant public for support in every
attempt to change the way people interact with the environment is damned
stupid. Though I accept that the present alternative may be worse - the
currently fashionable notion of "sustainable development" where some
unpopular or hard to justify changes are made anyway, since they will,
hopefully, benefit future generations, actually gives authority to those in
power on the basis that (most of) the present generation don't know what's
best for the long term (but government do?). It seems the main trade off
at present is between central government and common sense.

Michael Saunby

Peter Ashby 27-05-2003 04:32 PM

"BAC" wrote:

This is also mentioned at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1456230.stm
(which makes clear the 200,000 rats in question were r. norvegicus, not r.
rattus, by the way) and alludes to the near disastrous start to the exercise
when 18 tonnes of the poison en route to the island for the eradication
programme was accidentally dumped in a whale breeding location, see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1346931.stm but no harm done,
apparently.

Ah yes, I remember the road spill incident, following the NZ news as I
do. I had forgotten the purpose to which the poison was going to be
used. It was probably a good thing the sea was relatively calm at the
time of the accident, the Kaikoura coast is prone to large swells.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.

Jim Webster 27-05-2003 05:32 PM

"BAC" wrote in message

"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

snip
I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife -

I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things

better
for people, because they probably won't.

There's always likely to be trade offs. The sheep dip changes are probably
'better' for the people who use them, but 'worse' for invertebrates in
run-off watercourses, for example.

actually they are better for the sheep, but less safe for the handlers. For
the handlers Organo-phosphates were more dangerous than the organo-chorides
they replaced, and they were more dangerous than things like copper
sulphate.
One of the things which left a nasty taste was the way government and
legislaters regarded those forced to use the chemicals as expendable

Jim Webster

Tim Tyler 28-05-2003 09:44 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: : Tim Tyler writes

: :: Then you either have a very small plot, aren't trying or aren't
: :: growing the right things.
: :
: :Size is the main limiting factor. I estimate I have about ten square
: :metres to work with.
:
: : 3m x 3m!
:
: More like 10m x 1m ;-)
:
: : Then throw out most of it and stick to 5 sq m of swiss chard and 5 sq m
: : in runner and climbing french beans.
:
: That would be contrary to my stated aim of getting more diversity -
: and would massively up my bean consumption (I go pretty easy on
: most legumes).

: Now this is where I really can't understand what you want from yourself and
: others. If you genuinely believed that pesticide residues presented a
: significant risk to you health, and you were rational (granted these two
: things probably don't go together too well) then surely your objective
: would be to replace those foodstuffs that you presently obtain from other
: that present the greatest risk. Surely this would mean growing as much of
: your staples first and then indulging in wealthy western extravagance once
: that is in order?

I eat lots of green salad veg - and I grow lots of green salad veg.

I would guess most of my pesticides come from fruit. I don't grow
very many fruit - my perception is that they take up too much space
for the volume of produce they produce - and I'm space limited.

I /am/ growing strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, taeberries,
loganberries, wolfberries, black currants, gooseberries and apricots -
but don't expect to get enough fruit to significantly impact my annual
levels of consumption.

Reducing pesticide consumption is only one of the motives for growing
my own food - the other ones are mainly to do with increasing
availability of foodstuffs - and making sure they are as fresh
as possible.

: Personally I prefer to rear a couple of pigs as needed so that we get to
: eat decent meat as often as possible, but if you prefer not to eat meat,
: or don't have the space then grow potatoes.

....but I don't eat very many posasoes either - plus they keep well,
aren't pesticide-laden (similar to most root vegetables), and are
easily available year-round in nearby shops.
--
__________

Michael Saunby 28-05-2003 10:20 AM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
[...]

Don't tell me, let's guess - and for the other six months of the year you
hibernate?

I would guess most of my pesticides come from fruit. I don't grow
very many fruit - my perception is that they take up too much space
for the volume of produce they produce - and I'm space limited.

I /am/ growing strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, taeberries,
loganberries, wolfberries, black currants, gooseberries and apricots -
but don't expect to get enough fruit to significantly impact my annual
levels of consumption.

Reducing pesticide consumption is only one of the motives for growing
my own food - the other ones are mainly to do with increasing
availability of foodstuffs - and making sure they are as fresh
as possible.

So how dangerous do you really think pesticides are? It's seems even you
consider a varied diet more important. So if pesticides and herbicides
give us access to a more varied diet, maybe they're a good thing.

: Personally I prefer to rear a couple of pigs as needed so that we get

: eat decent meat as often as possible, but if you prefer not to eat

meat,
: or don't have the space then grow potatoes.

...but I don't eat very many posasoes either - plus they keep well,
aren't pesticide-laden (similar to most root vegetables), and are
easily available year-round in nearby shops.

Yeah right; of course they keep well, they've almost certainly been treated
with sprout suppressant and pesticides. How else do you ensure that such a
valuable crop doesn't spoil in storage?

I get the impression you don't eat meat, so if you don't eat potatoes where
do you get your calories; bread, or something imported? I'm now even
doubting that you're human.

Michael Saunby

Malcolm 28-05-2003 10:32 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
[...]

Still making friends I see, Mr Moody? are all farm types this
obnoxious or have we just bumped into some rare breeds?
--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

Tim Tyler 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: I would guess most of my pesticides come from fruit. [...]
:
: Reducing pesticide consumption is only one of the motives for growing
: my own food - the other ones are mainly to do with increasing
: availability of foodstuffs - and making sure they are as fresh
: as possible.

: So how dangerous do you really think pesticides are? It's seems even you
: consider a varied diet more important.

That's accurate. I'm typically prepared to trade some exposure to
pesticides in for some diversity.

It's hard to quantify the degree of risk - but I think it's worth taking
some effort to avoid pesticides.

: So if pesticides and herbicides give us access to a more varied diet,
: maybe they're a good thing.

They make food cheaper to produce. They clearly have their upsides -
that's why they are used.

: ...but I don't eat very many po[tat]oes either - plus they keep well,
: aren't pesticide-laden (similar to most root vegetables), and are
: easily available year-round in nearby shops.

: Yeah right; of course they keep well, they've almost certainly been treated
: with sprout suppressant and pesticides. How else do you ensure that such a
: valuable crop doesn't spoil in storage?

Potatoes keep pretty well with no treatment at all - if kept in darkness.

: I get the impression you don't eat meat [...]

That's not an accurate impression - I eat turkey, liver and kidneys - and
fish and seafood.

: so if you don't eat potatoes where do you get your calories; bread, or
: something imported? I'm now even doubting that you're human.

I'm on a low calorie diet.

Many of the calories I do eat come from fruit, oils, nuts and seeds.
--
__________

Michael Saunby 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: I would guess most of my pesticides come from fruit. [...]
:
: Reducing pesticide consumption is only one of the motives for growing
: my own food - the other ones are mainly to do with increasing
: availability of foodstuffs - and making sure they are as fresh
: as possible.

: So how dangerous do you really think pesticides are? It's seems even

you
: consider a varied diet more important.

That's accurate. I'm typically prepared to trade some exposure to
pesticides in for some diversity.

So a varied diet is more important than a long (and healthy?) life?

It's hard to quantify the degree of risk - but I think it's worth taking
some effort to avoid pesticides.

The whole point of risks is that you do quantify them, otherwise they're
simply irrational fears and should carry no weight.

: So if pesticides and herbicides give us access to a more varied diet,
: maybe they're a good thing.

They make food cheaper to produce. They clearly have their upsides -
that's why they are used.

: ...but I don't eat very many po[tat]oes either - plus they keep well,
: aren't pesticide-laden (similar to most root vegetables), and are
: easily available year-round in nearby shops.

: Yeah right; of course they keep well, they've almost certainly been

treated
: with sprout suppressant and pesticides. How else do you ensure that

such a
: valuable crop doesn't spoil in storage?

Potatoes keep pretty well with no treatment at all - if kept in darkness.

They might, but I'm pretty certain most don't get the chance. I think
you'll find that the use of various chemicals to protect stored potatoes
and grain is more common that not doing so. This is an interesting
situation though, since environmentalists are very concerned about the use
of pesticides in open fields where wildlife might be affected but far less
concerned by the use of pesticides in food storage. So I suspect that as
with DDT public opinion is being used to achieve what's best for the
environment rather than what might be best for people.

See http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/committ.../chlorstat.htm I've seen
other documents, that I can't find areference for right now that give
figures for the proportion of stored potatoes that are treated, I'm pretty
sure it's most.

: I get the impression you don't eat meat [...]

That's not an accurate impression - I eat turkey, liver and kidneys - and
fish and seafood.

My mistake. Odd choices though - any reason other than personal taste?

: so if you don't eat potatoes where do you get your calories; bread, or
: something imported? I'm now even doubting that you're human.

I'm on a low calorie diet.

Forever, or just to lose some weight?

Many of the calories I do eat come from fruit, oils, nuts and seeds.

Not a diet that would suit many, and of course a lot of "food miles", so
unhappy environmentalists again.

Michael Saunby

Robert Seago 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

Michael Saunby wrote:

people. The same arguments took place many decades ago over DDT. Those
who were most determined to get it banned recognised that the surest was to
get a ban was to persuade the public it was harmful to them. It was a
dangerous game to play, because it wasn't directly harmful but it was
clearly being used in such a way as to harm many ecosystems. There will
comes a time when we have to make decisions to protect the environment that
will present dangers to people, so it's about time we all started to grow
up. If a thing is bad, it isn't necessarily bad for people, and if a thing
is sometimes bad for people (wolves?) then it isn't always bad. I'm all
for reducing the use of pesticides and herbicides to protect wildlife - I'm
just not prepared to argue that such changes will also makes things better
for people, because they probably won't.

I think it had to be sensible to ban the persistent organochlorines. We
are longer lived than other carnivores, and it must be reasonable to
conclude that they may also be a threat to us ultimately.

Michael Saunby

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago

Robert Seago 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article ,
Oz wrote:

Unlikely, all approval schemes require effective control of rodents.
Without food, owls will perish.
With rodents, farms cannot sell their produce easily, if at all.

This is supposed to improve human health, although I have never seen any
recorded problem in recent decades in the UK associated with farm
rodents and *consumer* health.

Tough on owls and raptors, then.

One of our local farmers has installed some 20 to 30 boxes in this area,
and in 5 years the number of Barn Owls has increased enormously. Last
year, albeit a good vole year, he ringed 97 barn owl chicks. I would thimk
they may also help knpck off a few rats as well. Of course you prohably
have to have large areas of rough grazing land for this. About 10 years
ago we thought we had no Barn Owls.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago

Robert Seago 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

Michael Saunby wrote:

[...]

We all think we know best, but governments have to take all of our views
into consideration.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago

Robert Seago 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

Jim Webster wrote:

actually they are better for the sheep, but less safe for the handlers. For
the handlers Organo-phosphates were more dangerous than the organo-chorides
they replaced, and they were more dangerous than things like copper
sulphate.
One of the things which left a nasty taste was the way government and
legislaters regarded those forced to use the chemicals as expendable

Jim Webster

I thought they had gone on to permethrins now, which were generally less
toxic to sheep and humans than op but are not deactivated before they
filter into water courses.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago

Jim Webster 29-05-2003 05:24 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Robert Seago" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Webster wrote:

actually they are better for the sheep, but less safe for the handlers.

For
the handlers Organo-phosphates were more dangerous than the

organo-chorides
they replaced, and they were more dangerous than things like copper
sulphate.
One of the things which left a nasty taste was the way government and
legislaters regarded those forced to use the chemicals as expendable

Jim Webster

I thought they had gone on to permethrins now, which were generally less
toxic to sheep and humans than op but are not deactivated before they
filter into water courses.

yes, basically the H&SE may well find itself effectively destroyed by
European law because of OPs. Effectively H&SE claimed it had no duty of
care, hence was not responsible for any injuries or death which occurred if
you followed their advice. The OP business going to European level may
overturn this.

so permethrins are expedient.

Jim Webster

--