Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Anthony E Anson

Default Not ransoms, but...

Leaves similar to a tulip, though pointier at the top, 4" - 7", have no
(obvious) stem, flower head not yet open, but resembling chives, smell
of garlic.

I will photograph it and put the pics up when they're out but I've still
got twenty frames left on the film, so don't hold your breath.

Loads of interesting plants are coming up amongst the, oh, the, the, the
goosegrass and couch and ground elder. (Just added some chopped ground
elder leaves to a casserole.)

The state of the property on moving in can be savoured by visiting the page:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/arjome.htm

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 17-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Tony wrote in message ...
Leaves similar to a tulip, though pointier at the top, 4" - 7", have no
(obvious) stem, flower head not yet open, but resembling chives, smell
of garlic.

Still sounds like Ramsons, most of the other Alliums wild in the UK are
strap leaved.

I will photograph it and put the pics up when they're out but I've still
got twenty frames left on the film, so don't hold your breath.

OK.

Loads of interesting plants are coming up amongst the, oh, the, the, the
goosegrass and couch and ground elder. (Just added some chopped ground
elder leaves to a casserole.)

The state of the property on moving in can be savoured by visiting the

page:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/arjome.htm

Can't get it to work Tony but read about the plinths anyway, problem is
finding the 33's to play. :-(
--
Bob
Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 17-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Can't get it to work Tony but read about the plinths anyway, problem is
finding the 33's to play. :-(

Hum. Just tried it and you're right - it didn't work. It will by the
time you see this!

Oh no it won't - server seems to be down now.

Old 17-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

The state of the property on moving in can be savoured by visiting the

page:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/arjome.htm

Can't get it to work Tony but read about the plinths anyway, problem is
finding the 33's to play. :-(

Oooops! - arjohm.htm

That should work! (It just did)
Old 17-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Anthony Anson" wrote in message
The state of the property on moving in can be savoured by visiting the

page:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/arjohm.htm

Having seen your new place you have some work to do then? :-)

Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Anthony Anson" wrote in message
The state of the property on moving in can be savoured by visiting the
page:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/arjohm.htm

Having seen your new place you have some work to do then? :-)

A little. I've got a trowel and a pair of scissors....

It was lightly tended by an elderly lady not in the full bloom of
athleticism as 'a garden is a lovesome thing, God wot' for a number of
years, and then it had a summer lying fallow while the house was for
sale, when it shifted from 'lovesome' to 'loathsome'. I moved in at the
end of October, by which time it was a little - er - wild.

It contains a lot of interesting plants and shrubs and I've brought a
few more to add to the confusion. There's a fig tree in a pot - now
looking for a stainless steel drum from a washing machine, a potted
blueberry, a grape vine - probably Black Hamburg, and I've sown a pinch
of Chinese gooseberry seeds. The grape, with another yet to be acquired,
the fig, suitably restrained and an existing Japanese quince will be
trained against the red-brick gable-end and the tacked-on ablutions
block, which means that I will have to dig out the winter jasmine which
presently is a damp-trap at the bottom of the wall.

Being an old house there is no cavity, and the inside walls are damp.
Still, I've started a number of little layerings of the jasmine, and
it's not exactly slow growing. Now I've got to find somewhere sensible
for them....

Now we've had a little rain I'm off to dig a bean trench in which to
plant last year's roots.

Back later.

Old 18-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Anthony E Anson contains these words:

Now we've had a little rain I'm off to dig a bean trench in which to
plant last year's roots.

Back later.

Done it (in what was once a strip of 'lawn'). Planted most of the roots,
all of which survived the winter packed in peat in a plastic drum.

Now relaxing at the keyboard with a cup of tea. Oh, BTW, the 'Not
Ransomes' plants aren't nessie celery wild. They are much more likely to
be an Allium from a garden centre.

I just wonder if they might be OK to use in cooking. Anyone know if any
of the oiniony/garlicy ones are not edible?

Old 18-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Can't get it to work Tony but read about the plinths anyway, problem is
finding the 33's to play. :-(

Have you got a turntable? What is your poison? I could point you at
suppliers of both new and secondhand records. (I've got a thousand ot
two which I'm going to car-boot soon.)