Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Mike

Default Poppies

How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Judy Rigby

Mike writes

How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

Mike

I've read it's up to 100 years. (Hope the field poppy seeds I chucked
hither & thither earlier this year decide to do their thing a bit sooner
than that ...)
--
Judy
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bluelotusrising/index.html
Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Adrian Jones

This was on the telly just a couple of days ago. Apparently, poppy seeds
can remain dormant for over a hundred years.

Regards

news

------

Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Judy Rigby wrote:
Mike writes

How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

I've read it's up to 100 years. (Hope the field poppy seeds I chucked
hither & thither earlier this year decide to do their thing a bit sooner
than that ...)

There is evidence that it is getting on for that, certainly. And
the same applies to quite a few plants that grow in disturbed soil
or where there is a glade suddenly created in a woodland.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
news

How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

Mike

You beat me to it then mike 8~)

Old 18-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Zizz

"Mike" wrote in message
news

How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

Mike

------
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th -

June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

I would guess that it depends on the conditions.
I read in an article that the record so far (not a poppy though) is 1200
years, though another article quotes 10,000 years!
So your guess is as good as mine ;-)

Old 18-05-2003, 11:20 PM
jane

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:38:35 +0100, Mike wrote:

~
~How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
~all of a sudden germinate and grow?

Quite some time I seem to remember... they wait until the ground is
disturbed before they germinate, so I think it can be years. This is why
the poppy fields of WW 1 - the battles churned up the ground and up came
the dormant poppies.

This is an illuminating ref I found, searching for Flanders Poppy and
finding out more about why poppies for remembrance than I'd bargained for.
http://www.anzacday.org.au/education/tff/poppy.html

The interesting thing here is they say poppies need light to germinate, as
I'd expect. However
http://www.dulley.com/plant/a089.shtml
says they need darkness! Load of rubbish....

ah! gotcha!
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...cles/Poppy.asp

25 to 50 years....

There you go

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Andy Spragg

Mike pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Sun, 18 May 2003 22:38:35 +0100, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ How long can/could a Poppy seed lay dormant in a piece of land and then
^ all of a sudden germinate and grow?
^
^ Not a silly question and I will explain later :-))

AFAIK about seedbanks in general, 50 years is par for the course.
Poppies may be different.

I'm guessing you had a similar experience to mine? A year or two ago,
an entire factory next door to my place of work was completely
flattened. In the six months or so before a new building was put in
its place, we were treated to the most spectacular multi-coloured
display of some sort of poppy - what I call powder-puff, I don't know
what they're really called. Goodness only knows where the seeds came
from but they must have been there a long long time.

--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

Old 19-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Kase

"Andy Spragg" wrote in message
[...]

So even a long nuclear winter will not completely sterilize the earth, after
10-20 years when the skies clear up come the poppies ??

Old 19-05-2003, 03:08 PM
shazzbat

"Kase" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe. Or maybe they won't be like the poppies we all know. Have any studies
been done on irradiating poppy seeds?

Yellow & Orange Poppies Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:47 AM
Californian Poppies JennyC United Kingdom 2 12-10-2003 05:42 PM
Blue Poppies & Moss Nancy Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM
good companion for poppies? Penny S. Gardening 5 10-04-2003 04:08 AM
Poppies from Seed Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 17 08-03-2003 04:44 AM