Old 21-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Dave

Default japanese knot weed - how to remove it?

Sorry I've not been following the thread properly, but some folk living
nearby have an outbreak of this stuff and wonder how to get rid of it:

Came across a patch of this growing locally to me yesterday. It's the first
of this dreadful, invasive weed that I've found in Cambridge. I plan to eat
some (it's very like rhubarb, if you get it when it's really small and know
how to prepare it safely) but I'm not planning to single-handedly take the
weed on.

What's the best approach to take to see if our local council/conservation
organisations might be interested in controlling this stuff?

Any ideas anyone please?
--
David
Old 21-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Sorry I've not been following the thread properly, but some folk living
nearby have an outbreak of this stuff and wonder how to get rid of it:

Any ideas anyone please?

You can look up threads you haven't been following properly, online at
google groups.

Janet.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Bonds

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Dave contains these words:

Sorry I've not been following the thread properly, but some folk living
nearby have an outbreak of this stuff and wonder how to get rid of it:

Any ideas anyone please?

Roundup in it's strongest format seems the best way.
2 ways to sort it
1st.General spraying if it's in a thick clump. Usual rules apply when
spraying.
2nd. cut off each stem about 1-2" from the ground and inject with Roundup.
repeat as often as necessary.
JW's root system can bury 7' down and spread 21' in diameter. So unless
you're barmy don't yank it out of the ground.
Both methods will probably not kill it off in the first go. Be prepared to
attack it for three years or so.
Regards

Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Bonds" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Dave contains these words:

Sorry I've not been following the thread properly, but some folk living
nearby have an outbreak of this stuff and wonder how to get rid of it:

Any ideas anyone please?

No, I didn't write any of that. Please be more careful with
attributions and editing.

Janet.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
DaveDay34

Roundup in it's strongest format seems the best way.
2 ways to sort it
1st.General spraying if it's in a thick clump. Usual rules apply when
spraying.
2nd. cut off each stem about 1-2" from the ground and inject with Roundup.
repeat as often as necessary.
JW's root system can bury 7' down and spread 21' in diameter. So unless
you're barmy don't yank it out of the ground.
Both methods will probably not kill it off in the first go. Be prepared to
attack it for three years or so.
Regards

I'd just like to point out that roundup contains glyphosate. Glyphosate is a
translocated herbicide (sorry, I'm getting technical here) that is only taken
in through the leaves of the plant. Injecting stems with the stuff is likely
to be very expensive, especially as it's likely to be a complete waste of time.
Though spraying is effective on large clumps, the best way to kill off
Japanese Knotweed is to paint the leaves with a glyphosate based herbicide
using an appropriate brush. Needless to say that rubber gloves or something
similar are advisable.

If you follow the instructions on the packet you'll see that you can pull up
weeds after a few days (I think they state 3 days). You could either cut down
the knotweed after this period of time, or better still dig it up as far as is
reasonably possible. Retreat any new growth that appears as soon as possible
and you should get rid of the stuff. The same applies to bindweed.

Dave.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
A.Malhotra

DaveDay34 wrote:

[...]

I have been strongly advised against cutting/digging it at all since it
propogates itself from the smallest fragment. Given that one appl of
glyphosate it not likely to be enough to kill it off, I'd think that
spraying it several times (I'm told at least three) before attempting to do
this would be a lot safer.
Anita