Old 21-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Default Perennial Sweet Pea Germination

I sew some perennial sweet peas in loo rolls in February, but I have
seen no progress since then. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas
Old 21-05-2003, 07:20 PM
geoff

"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in message

I sew some perennial sweet peas in loo rolls in February, but I have
seen no progress since then. Any tips?

You did not say where the loo rolls were - if they were still on the wall no
wonder they're not growing!!!

Geoff

Old 21-05-2003, 07:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

If you have more seed I would put them straight in the ground as the
perennial version will not stand having it's roots damaged. Possibly you
were too early to start with and they rotted

Robert
"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in message
.np.hx...
:

Old 23-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article . hx, Kostas
Kavoussanakis writes

I sew some perennial sweet peas in loo rolls in February, but I have
seen no progress since then. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas

Hi Kostas

I was the one who sent you the seeds, and I found some info on the web
(at http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/peoria/...-shorts.html#1). I
certainly soaked and scarified the original seeds I started with and it
worked very well.

"Unfortunately, some plants’ seeds require pretreatment. Without this
first cultural step these seeds will germinate only with difficulty, if
at all.

Soaking, stratifying and scarifying are techniques that the gardener can
use to improve chances for successful seed germination.

Some common garden plants that benefit from soaking are okra, mallow or
hibiscus, sea pink, lupine, morning glory, sweet pea, parsley and any
garden peas. To soak seeds, place them in warm water for 12 hours. Some
horticulturists recommend starting with water, up to 150º F and keeping
the water warm for the rest of the soaking. After soaking, the seeds
should be planted indoors or outdoors immediately. If the seeds you set
to soak float, they should be soaked until they absorb enough water to
sink.

Scarification weakens the seed coat and the need for it in some large,
hard seeded plants ranges from essential to merely beneficial. Among
these plants are Mallow or Hibiscus, Lupines and Morning Glory (followed
by soaking), Blue False Indigo, Perennial Sweet Pea and Ornamental
Castor Bean. Seeds may be scarified by scratching with a file or knife
or rubbed with sandpaper. A fingernail clipper or wire cutter can also
be used to nick the coating. The point is not to destroy the coating but
to make it easier for moisture to enter and for the plant embryo to
emerge.

Pretreatment is an additional chore added to seed starting but it is a
small price to pay for improving germination odds for some very special
plants."

Hope this helps, Lynda

Old 23-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Lynda Thornton wrote:

I was the one who sent you the seeds,

Of course I remember, thank you very much.

and I found some info on the web
(at http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/peoria/...-shorts.html#1). I
certainly soaked and scarified the original seeds I started with and it
worked very well.

Thank you very much for this too. I will try the method and report
back.

Kostas
Old 03-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

I sew some perennial sweet peas in loo rolls in February, but I have
seen no progress since then. Any tips?

Update. I sort of knew that this would happen: I send out the post, I
get a few suggestions and before I throw out the old efforts, they
give me two seedlings. :-)

Kostas
Old 03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Fredgibson

"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in message
.np.hx...
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

I sew some perennial sweet peas in loo rolls in February, but I have
seen no progress since then. Any tips?

Update. I sort of knew that this would happen: I send out the post, I
get a few suggestions and before I throw out the old efforts, they
give me two seedlings. :-)

Kostas

Don't plant them. The damn things come up every where when they get
started.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Pea germination michael United Kingdom 2 19-05-2008 02:10 PM
Pea Vine: Perennial or Annual? Hunter77 Gardening 3 09-07-2005 05:47 PM
Perennial sweet peas Ian Waddell United Kingdom 12 20-04-2005 08:45 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM