Old 17-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Ian Waddell

Default Perennial sweet peas

Hi, I'm growing some perennial sweet peas from seed. A few are now 3-4
inches high and starting to lean over. I have put the tallest 3 plants in a
large pot with a cane to support them. However, the stems look rather thin
compared to the annual varieties.

Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?

Regards,

Ian

Old 17-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Ian Waddell wrote:
Hi, I'm growing some perennial sweet peas from seed. A few are now
3-4 inches high and starting to lean over. I have put the tallest

3
plants in a large pot with a cane to support them. However, the
stems look rather thin compared to the annual varieties.

Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?

Wow! Information, please! Are these really sweet peas, with scent?

--
Mike.

Old 17-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Robert

:
: Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?
:
: Regards,
:
: Ian
:

I just let them go. The roots must not be disturbed, that is the main thing.
Better if they were in the ground, pity they don't have any perfume

Old 17-04-2005, 09:33 PM
keith ;-\)

I don't think the perennial sweet peas are fragrant?I have L vernus and this
one isn't.Found this link below for those who don't know of the perennial
sweet pea.
http://www.gardening-tips-perennials...lsweetpea.html
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 17-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Robert wrote:
"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
Hi, I'm growing some perennial sweet peas from seed. A few are

now
3-4 inches high and starting to lean over. I have put the tallest

3
plants in a large pot with a cane to support them. However, the
stems look rather thin compared to the annual varieties.

Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?

Regards,

Ian

I just let them go. The roots must not be disturbed, that is the

main
thing. Better if they were in the ground, pity they don't have any
perfume

So you mean they aren't sweet peas, then? Just plain old "Everlasting
peas"? I take a very dim view of plant-breeders who have the immortal
gall to market as "sweet peas" things which you can't smell from the
other end of the garden: they should go to jail gor it.

--
Mike.

Old 18-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Robert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
: Robert wrote:
: "Ian Waddell" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: --
: Mike.
:
Well I expect that's what they are, I haven't heard of anything else

Old 19-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Ian Waddell

Yes that's what they are. Packet said Sweet Peas then "everlasting pea"
underneath.

I too am disappointed that they won't be fragrant, I just hope they look
nice.

We have also bought some annuals, are these likely to self-seed, or should I
try collecting for next year?

Old 19-04-2005, 09:06 PM
keith ;-\)

Try both,save seed & see what comes up!You can get some interesting combos
if you let nature do some work!

Old 19-04-2005, 09:12 PM
keith ;-\)

About the sweetpeas I have seen some and they look the same but without the
lovely smell,maybe you could sow some really nice fragrant sweetpeas around
the perennial sweetpea!Just a thought.You could try and match the colours so
it looks like the same plant or have a mixture.

Old 19-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Chris

In article , Ian Waddell
writes
Hi, I'm growing some perennial sweet peas from seed. A few are now 3-4
inches high and starting to lean over. I have put the tallest 3 plants in a
large pot with a cane to support them. However, the stems look rather thin
compared to the annual varieties.
Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?

I've heard they are terribly invasive ... and so perhaps caution might
be a good tip! Can anyone confirm?
--
Chris

Old 19-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Ellen Connell

In message , Ian Waddell
writes
Hi, I'm growing some perennial sweet peas from seed. A few are now 3-4
inches high and starting to lean over. I have put the tallest 3 plants in a
large pot with a cane to support them. However, the stems look rather thin
compared to the annual varieties.

Has anyone grown these from seed and have any tips for me?

Regards,

Ian

They are a menace. Very pretty, but the roots grow deep and travel every
where, and the are impossible to eradicate. Ellen.
--
Ellen Connell
Old 19-04-2005, 11:14 PM
keith ;-\)

Not in a pot with trellis,some people also have space for some plants to
grow more naturally & spread/mingle with other plants.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Ellen Connell" ] wrote in message
In message , Ian Waddell
writes

Old 20-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Sarah Dale

Chris wrote:

I've heard they are terribly invasive ... and so perhaps caution might
be a good tip! Can anyone confirm?

My perenial sweet peas are perfectly well behaved, growing in now, will
disappear at about the same time normal sweet peas do. I've had no
problems with invasion or anything else.

Can't comment on size of root or root run, I've not tried to dig mine up.

Grown in heavy soil with clay underneath in North Wales.

Sarah