Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Cats, again!!

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Alan

Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Cupra

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Alan

It's more to do with the current than the voltage - my guess that the wet
surroundings made the cat's electrical resistance sufficiently low enough to
first stun the animal and then kill it as held the wire in it's mouth
(remember shocks can cause involuntary muscle contraction) Not a nice way to
go even if you hate cats.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:32 PM
geoff

"Cupra" wrote in message
Snip
That
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Snip

. . . . .I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Snip

It's more to do with the current than the voltage

Or, as all ex radar men know, "It's the volts that jolts but the mils that
kills"

Geoff

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Cupra

"geoff" wrote in message

"Cupra" wrote in message
Snip
That
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Snip

. . . . .I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Snip

It's more to do with the current than the voltage

Or, as all ex radar men know, "It's the volts that jolts but the mils that
kills"

Geoff

That's the phrase I was trying to remember (my last shock was 600VDC and
that certainly jolted - luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
ConnieD.

"Cupra" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message

"Cupra" wrote in message
Snip
That
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Snip

. . . . .I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Snip

It's more to do with the current than the voltage

Or, as all ex radar men know, "It's the volts that jolts but the mils

that
kills"

Geoff

That's the phrase I was trying to remember (my last shock was 600VDC and
that certainly jolted - luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

In this country it only hertz 50 times a second or so I am informed. by an
ex.Sigs chappy :0) .............
Regards ConnieD.( married to him)

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"Cupra" wrote in message

luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

Eh?

pk

Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Cupra

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"Cupra" wrote in message

luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

Eh?

pk

If you're going to be daft (like me) and play around with dangerous
voltages, keep one hand in your pocket - that way if you do get a shock it
normally flows down the body, not across the chest (ie: heart), if you are
touching earth with the other hand.

But to be 100% safe don't touch at all!!!!

Old 22-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Paul Kelly

"Cupra" wrote in message

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

pk

If you're going to be daft (like me) and play around with dangerous
voltages, keep one hand in your pocket - that way if you do get a shock it
normally flows down the body, not across the chest (ie: heart), if you are
touching earth with the other hand.

But to be 100% safe don't touch at all!!!!

Thanks!

A bit like the old 'leccies trick of flicking connections with the back of
their fingers to check if live or not. If live the muscle spasm closes the
fingers away from the wire.

As they say, don't try this at home.

pk

Old 22-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Trevor Barton

Cupra wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"Cupra" wrote in message

luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

Eh?

pk

If you're going to be daft (like me) and play around with dangerous
voltages, keep one hand in your pocket - that way if you do get a shock it
normally flows down the body, not across the chest (ie: heart), if you are
touching earth with the other hand.

And to be twice as safe (or should that be half as dangerous?) it's your
left hand in the pocket and your right hand on the workpiece, that way
any current to ground through your body and feet tends to use the right
hand side, away from your heart.

Trev
Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul Kelly p.g.kelly@bt
internetNOSPAM.com writes

"Cupra" wrote in message

luckily I was following the hand in pocket
rule........)

Eh?

Even I know that one! :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 PM
andrewpreece

"Cupra" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message

"Cupra" wrote in message
Snip
That
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Snip

. . . . .I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Snip

It's more to do with the current than the voltage

Or, as all ex radar men know, "It's the volts that jolts but the mils

that
kills"

Geoff

This is correct, it is the current that kills, the voltage is incidental
inasmuch as the
current depends on the voltage AND the resistance of the subject. The
resistance
of the subject ( let us posit a cat in this instance ) depends very much on
the
atmospheric/soil conditions at the time. All the same, I don't reckon 12
volts would
kill a cat, even if it licked the wire with its tongue. My understanding is
that it
would take at least 30 volts to kill a human even if they were standing in a
bath of
salty water in a copper tub. I reckon the chap must have stepped up the
voltage as
with an electric fence.

Andy

Old 23-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Marcus Fox

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Can be stepped up by transformer. Most electric fences although high
voltage, are safe for humans and livestock , because they include a repeater
which cuts out after the first jolt, to avoid creating a pile of rare steaks
next to the fence.

Marcus

Old 23-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Charlie

I guess you read that in the Mail, where the same article describes a puppy
that had it's ears cut off by kids using blunt scissors. I think if they're
caught they should have their own ears cut off with blunt scissors, see how
they like it. A few weeks ago some ducks were stoned to death by drunk kids
on our beautiful village pond. What is it with people my age?

Charlie.

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Alan

---

Old 23-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Mike

In article , Marcus
Fox writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Can be stepped up by transformer.

A transformer is for stepping up/down AC not DC from a battery.

I assume that the battery charger is across a 12 volt battery thus
giving a 'float' charge.

If this is the case, does anyone know if there is an AC element in the
output? I would think not if it is rectified properly.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Cats again and lack of grass! kimby United Kingdom 0 25-04-2006 07:16 PM
Cats cr@pping on the veg again Frogleg United Kingdom 32 19-02-2004 12:11 PM
Cat poo ( Cats again) Burl Gardening 5 25-05-2003 06:56 PM
Cats again Albert Fiantaca Gardening 26 15-04-2003 10:20 PM