Old 23-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Cats, again!!

In article ,
Mike writes:

| A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
| erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
| invading his garden.
|
| It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
| charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
| sufficient to kill anything that size.

It's the volts that jolts, but the mills (mils?) that kills.

12 volts IS enough to kill, if the contact is near-perfect, so
the whole voltage goes across the heart's control organ, but it
is extremely rare for it to occur.

| Can be stepped up by transformer.
|
| A transformer is for stepping up/down AC not DC from a battery.

While that is true, most things like portable fluorescent lights
and battery-powered electric fences include a DC to AC convertor,
so that the voltage can be transformed up.

| I assume that the battery charger is across a 12 volt battery thus
| giving a 'float' charge.
|
| If this is the case, does anyone know if there is an AC element in the
| output? I would think not if it is rectified properly.

There is, as smoothing is never perfect, but it should be small
(to avoid battery damage). Another (very likely) possibility is
that the charger was defective, and the mains supply leaked to
the output.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Cupra

"Charlie" wrote in message =
| I guess you read that in the Mail, where the same article describes a =
puppy
| that had it's ears cut off by kids using blunt scissors. I think if =
they're
| caught they should have their own ears cut off with blunt scissors, =
see how
| they like it. A few weeks ago some ducks were stoned to death by =
drunk kids
| on our beautiful village pond. What is it with people my age?
|=20
| Charlie.
|=20

....and a Swan was kicked to death nearby (Northampton) recently - let's =
chuck them in with the Lions at Whipsnade Zoo and see if they can kick =
them to death too.

Old 23-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Chris Norton

On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:32:30 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

I guess you read that in the Mail, where the same article describes a puppy
that had it's ears cut off by kids using blunt scissors. I think if they're
caught they should have their own ears cut off with blunt scissors, see how
they like it. A few weeks ago some ducks were stoned to death by drunk kids
on our beautiful village pond. What is it with people my age?

Charlie.

One of my friends cat has his tail chopped off. Luckily beaver was
saved by the local vet but he was never the same friendly beast again.
Never went anywhere near you if he did`nt know you.

I think it`s fairly safe to say that we all have some local account of
some idiot who has been cruel to the animals we love and care for.
Seems to me that its on the increase too.
Old 24-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Little Badger

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Marcus
Fox writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

A report in todays Mail says a cat was killed by an electric fence
erected by a fellow in Penrith, who was upset that cats were
invading his garden.

It is claimed that the fence was powered by a twelve volt battery
charger, I would not have thought that 12 volts would have
sufficient to kill anything that size.

Can be stepped up by transformer.

A transformer is for stepping up/down AC not DC from a battery.

I assume that the battery charger is across a 12 volt battery thus
giving a 'float' charge.

If this is the case, does anyone know if there is an AC element in the
output? I would think not if it is rectified properly.

Mike

You can get these transformers that allow you to use 240V AC equipment (game
machines, DVDs etc.) through the cigarette lighter socket of a car!

Would this be enough to kill a cat with 12 Volts?

Badger

Old 26-05-2003, 08:44 PM
hugh emerson

In message , Little Badger
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

These are "inverters" not transformers. However by switching 12v dc
through a coil you can produce very high voltages - as in your car
ignition system.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid

Cats again and lack of grass! kimby United Kingdom 0 25-04-2006 07:16 PM
Cats cr@pping on the veg again Frogleg United Kingdom 32 19-02-2004 12:11 PM
Cat poo ( Cats again) Burl Gardening 5 25-05-2003 06:56 PM
Cats again Albert Fiantaca Gardening 26 15-04-2003 10:20 PM