Old 13-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Frogleg

Default Cats cr@pping on the veg again

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:28:24 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Not wishing to reopen one of the perennial favourites in urg but...

A couple of months ago, I finally got round to cutting back the herbs in my
herb patch - rosmary, thyme, sage, lavender etc. Being lazy and my compost
bins being full, I just threw it all on my other veg beds for the worms to
deal with. Anyway, since then the neighbours cats haven't done their
business on my veg beds once!

It looks neater than the big prickly sticks and smells *a lot* nicer than
renardine.

According to some, cats are repelled by certain odors. Citrus and
eucalyptus oils are supposed to be deterrents. Of course, cats' like
humans' tastes vary.

Old 13-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:
wrote:

Not wishing to reopen one of the perennial favourites in urg but...

A couple of months ago, I finally got round to cutting back the herbs in my
herb patch - rosmary, thyme, sage, lavender etc. Being lazy and my compost
bins being full, I just threw it all on my other veg beds for the worms to
deal with. Anyway, since then the neighbours cats haven't done their
business on my veg beds once!

It looks neater than the big prickly sticks and smells *a lot* nicer than
renardine.

According to some, cats are repelled by certain odors. Citrus and
eucalyptus oils are supposed to be deterrents. Of course, cats' like
humans' tastes vary.

Aluminium ammonium sulphate sprinkled on the soil is distasteful to
cats, and breaks down (eventually) into useful fertiliser.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 13-02-2004, 10:35 PM
hillier

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
Not wishing to reopen one of the perennial favourites in urg but...

A couple of months ago, I finally got round to cutting back the herbs in

my
herb patch - rosmary, thyme, sage, lavender etc. Being lazy and my compost
bins being full, I just threw it all on my other veg beds for the worms to
deal with. Anyway, since then the neighbours cats haven't done their
business on my veg beds once!

It looks neater than the big prickly sticks and smells *a lot* nicer than
renardine.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

I have found an unusal way to solve this problem by making a friend of the

worst offender ( a few titbits and a drop of milk)
He now looks on it as his territory and cats do not dirty their own and
protect it from other cats. Result, my garden stays completly mess free.
It's really worked for me.

Old 14-02-2004, 07:35 PM
RVMJ 99g

Frogleg wrote:

According to some, cats are repelled by certain odors. Citrus and
eucalyptus oils are supposed to be deterrents. Of course, cats' like
humans' tastes vary.

Our moggy could eat a Chicken Jalfrezi, but her *real* favourite was
the Saturday Night Chicken Bhuna......

--
from
RVMJ
Old 14-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:14:14 +0000, RVMJ 99g wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

According to some, cats are repelled by certain odors. Citrus and
eucalyptus oils are supposed to be deterrents. Of course, cats' like
humans' tastes vary.

Our moggy could eat a Chicken Jalfrezi, but her *real* favourite was
the Saturday Night Chicken Bhuna......

At the risk of fostering a very OT thread, I've known 1st or 2nd hand
cats who favored asparagus (just the tips, you understand), cheese,
melon, and a garlic/wine/butter sauce surrounding fish. The fish was
untouched; the sauce vanished.

Old 15-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

Not wishing to reopen one of the perennial favourites in urg but...

A couple of months ago, I finally got round to cutting back the herbs in

my
herb patch - rosmary, thyme, sage, lavender etc. Being lazy and my

compost
bins being full, I just threw it all on my other veg beds for the worms

deal with. Anyway, since then the neighbours cats haven't done their
business on my veg beds once!

It looks neater than the big prickly sticks and smells *a lot* nicer than
renardine.

According to some, cats are repelled by certain odors. Citrus and
eucalyptus oils are supposed to be deterrents. Of course, cats' like
humans' tastes vary.

We have found the pot trays we use for holding small pots good for deterring
cats, they are on short legs and you can cover the veg bed with them, they
make it impossible to dig they can either be left or removed once crops are
bigger. (LBS sell them)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall. (and reluctant owner of 4 cats!)
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Annette

wrote:

We have found the pot trays we use for holding small pots good for deterring
cats, they are on short legs and you can cover the veg bed with them, they
make it impossible to dig they can either be left or removed once crops are
bigger. (LBS sell them)

Ooooh, don't go buying them from LBS! Just go down to your local
garden centre and ask for some. I'm certain they would give them to
you for free (we certainly would in our store) as it's impossible to
get them recycled so they just go in the commercial waste every week -
and garden centres get through zillions of those trays - they come in
a miriad of sizes, all slightly different, so that they are impossible
to stack well and take up so much room. I'm sure garden centres would
be glad to pass on as many as you wanted...

Annette

Old 15-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Annette

wrote:

We have found the pot trays we use for holding small pots good for deterring
cats, they are on short legs and you can cover the veg bed with them, they
make it impossible to dig they can either be left or removed once crops are
bigger. (LBS sell them)

Ooooh, don't go buying them from LBS! Just go down to your local
garden centre and ask for some. I'm certain they would give them to
you for free (we certainly would in our store) as it's impossible to
get them recycled so they just go in the commercial waste every week -
and garden centres get through zillions of those trays - they come in
a miriad of sizes, all slightly different, so that they are impossible
to stack well and take up so much room. I'm sure garden centres would
be glad to pass on as many as you wanted...

Annette

Cats again and lack of grass! kimby United Kingdom 0 25-04-2006 07:16 PM
Cats, again!! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 19 26-05-2003 08:44 PM
Cat poo ( Cats again) Burl Gardening 5 25-05-2003 06:56 PM
Cats again Albert Fiantaca Gardening 26 15-04-2003 10:20 PM