Old 24-05-2003, 01:08 PM
June Hughes

Default cut flowers

After recently coming out of hospital, I received several lots of cut
flowers. Some of them had little packets of white powder to soak into
the water before arranging the flowers and some did not. Can anyone
please tell me what the white powder consists of? Is it bicarbonate of
soda, or what?

Many TIA
--
June Hughes
Old 24-05-2003, 01:32 PM
JennyC

"June Hughes" wrote in message
After recently coming out of hospital, I received several lots of

cut
flowers. Some of them had little packets of white powder to soak

into
the water before arranging the flowers and some did not. Can anyone
please tell me what the white powder consists of? Is it bicarbonate

of
soda, or what?

Many TIA
--
June Hughes

It's most likely just to keep the water 'sweet'

There's a lot more info at : http://thefrugallife.com/flower.html

Jenny

Old 24-05-2003, 02:32 PM
June Hughes

In article , JennyC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
After recently coming out of hospital, I received several lots of

cut
flowers. Some of them had little packets of white powder to soak

into
the water before arranging the flowers and some did not. Can anyone
please tell me what the white powder consists of? Is it bicarbonate

of
soda, or what?

Many TIA
--
June Hughes

It's most likely just to keep the water 'sweet'

There's a lot more info at : http://thefrugallife.com/flower.html

Just what I needed - Thanks. Aspirin it is, then
--
June Hughes
Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
David Hill

This is a flower feed with an additive to stop fungal growth in the water.
You can add a very little sugar and a spot of bleach to do the same, I use
about 1 Teaspoon (Level, have yet to learn how to do a heaped spoon of
liquid) of bleach to 4 Gallons of water,
This is especially good for flowers like dahlias and Chrysanths where there
is a lot of leaf and soft stem material. I put them into this straight from
cutting and let them stand overnight.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-05-2003, 06:34 PM
June Hughes

In article , David Hill
writes
This is a flower feed with an additive to stop fungal growth in the water.
You can add a very little sugar and a spot of bleach to do the same, I use
about 1 Teaspoon (Level, have yet to learn how to do a heaped spoon of
liquid) of bleach to 4 Gallons of water,
This is especially good for flowers like dahlias and Chrysanths where there
is a lot of leaf and soft stem material. I put them into this straight from
cutting and let them stand overnight.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I didn't think it would be so simple, David. Thanks.
--
June Hughes

old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?! redtail Gardening 2 04-06-2008 07:24 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM