Old 24-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Joe

Default Identifying a sapling

I'd appreciate help identifying a sapling that self seeded last year. It
has brownish leaves that tend toward green as they age. I would like to
know whether it is worth keeping. I set up a few pictures at this site:

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Thanks.
--
Joe Farrugia, London

Old 24-05-2003, 10:09 PM
David Hill

Wouldn't really like to say, though in one picture they look like a sucker
from one of the Prunus family,
The picture under them is of Mimulus (Monkey Musk)which reminds me of an
interesting item which I will post separately under Musk.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Helen

The seedling looks very similar to the seedlings that used to appear
under my ornamental crab apple tree. Same shape, same colour leaves.

The flower, as already stated, is a mimulus.
Old 25-05-2003, 10:20 AM
JennyC

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
I'd appreciate help identifying a sapling that self seeded last

year. It
has brownish leaves that tend toward green as they age. I would

like to
know whether it is worth keeping. I set up a few pictures at this

site:

http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm

Thanks. Joe Farrugia, London

Ummmmmmm - it's worth keeping if you like the look of it :~))
Jenny

Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 24 May 2003 21:32:05 +0100, Joe
wrote:

I'd appreciate help identifying a sapling that self seeded last year. It
has brownish leaves that tend toward green as they age. I would like to
know whether it is worth keeping. I set up a few pictures at this site:

What is the tree in one of the pictures? I'm sure David is right: it
looks like suckers from the adjacent tree, not seedlings.

Pam in Bristol

Old 25-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Joe

wrote:

I'd appreciate help identifying a sapling that self seeded last year. It
has brownish leaves that tend toward green as they age. I would like to
know whether it is worth keeping. I set up a few pictures at this site:

What is the tree in one of the pictures? I'm sure David is right: it
looks like suckers from the adjacent tree, not seedlings.

Thank you for all the contributions. Unless prunus suckers a long way
from the parent tree, it is not likely to be a sucker. There was a plum
tree next door that died, perhaps, three or four years ago. The trunk
and many of the branches are still in place as it was overwhelmed by a
clematis, but the plum is about 30 feet (10 metres) away! I have a
similar tree also about 25 feet (8.2 m) away; the stalks look similar,
the leaves also look similar but they appear to be 'heavier/fleshier'
and not as brownish. The leaves on the sapling feel almost papery -
could the colour and papery texture be due to some environmental
deficiency?

Thanks
--
Joe Farrugia, London
Old 23-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Don

Prunus does produce suckers a remarkably long way from the original tree. I
have several very old plum trees in my garden (just hanging onto to life and
no more) and am often having to remove suckers thirty feet or so away from
them as well as lots much closer.

So many come up near these trees that I get an almondy smell when mowing the
lawn nearby.

I never quite know how best to remove them. I try to pull them up with a
pair of pliers rather than cut them off at ground level. I could certainly
do with some advice as to how to stop this problem though.

Regards
Don

"Joe" wrote

Unless prunus suckers a long way from the parent tree, it is not likely to

be a sucker.

Vivek.M - Plant, seed, sapling wishlist. Stuff i have to offer. Vivek.M Gardening 2 22-07-2006 08:15 AM
Pecan tree sapling Lil' Dave Texas 3 04-10-2005 02:43 PM
will sapling recover? [email protected] Gardening 2 26-06-2004 02:02 PM
Overseeding. Clearing brush and uprooting sapling trees and woody weeds Doe John Gardening 1 19-04-2004 07:03 PM
IDing seedling or sapling paper birches Etakbear alt.forestry 0 10-08-2003 09:22 PM