Old 25-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Sacha

Default Plant at Beth Chatto's. ID please

We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden there
was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high, growing in a
fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked remarkably like
young Eucalyptus leaves. The flowers were in what I suppose would be called
racemes (long and narrowing, anyway) and were purplish.
For anyone who hasn't been to this garden - GO! It's one of the most
interesting and most satisfying I've been to. The plant sales area is
extensive, though it is pricey. But we bought quite a few things we either
didn't have or have lost and had a really lovely morning.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 26-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Geoff P

You don't mean Cerinthe purpurescens do you? I agree that Beth Chatto's
gardens are completely fantastic. She demonstrates which plants that grow
in the conditions where they will thrive. I try to go at least once a year.

Steph Power

Old 26-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden

there
was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high, growing in

fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked remarkably like
young Eucalyptus leaves. The flowers were in what I suppose would be

called
racemes (long and narrowing, anyway) and were purplish.
For anyone who hasn't been to this garden - GO! It's one of the most
interesting and most satisfying I've been to. The plant sales area is
extensive, though it is pricey. But we bought quite a few things we

either
didn't have or have lost and had a really lovely morning.
--

No, we know and grow Cerinthe. This was much shorter and the leaves are
punctured by the stem growing right through the middle of them, just like

I don't think this is the answer, but fwiw - Bupleurum has perfoliate
leaves. It's a compositae, so you wouldn't really expect purple flowers,
but then sea-holly is a compositae, so you never know...
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Natalie

"Sacha" wrote in message
We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden

there
was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high, growing in

fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked remarkably like
young Eucalyptus leaves. The flowers were in what I suppose would be

called
racemes (long and narrowing, anyway) and were purplish.
For anyone who hasn't been to this garden - GO! It's one of the most
interesting and most satisfying I've been to. The plant sales area is
extensive, though it is pricey. But we bought quite a few things we

either
didn't have or have lost and had a really lovely morning.
--

Sacha, it is a shame you didin't ask a member of staff whilst you were at
the garden.

They were very helpful the last time we were there, when we spotted
something that I didn't recognise.

Maybe I'll try to get down there this week with my digital camera ;-)

Natalie

Old 27-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay Easton
writes
It's a compositae, so you wouldn't really expect purple flowers,
but then sea-holly is a compositae, so you never know...

Sea-holly is an umbellifer (not a composite).

Did you mean umbellifer in both contexts? I thought there were plenty of
purple composites.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvaceae/Malvaceae.html
Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
It's a compositae, so you wouldn't really expect purple flowers,
but then sea-holly is a compositae, so you never know...

Sea-holly is an umbellifer (not a composite).

Did you mean umbellifer in both contexts? I thought there were plenty of
purple composites.

Yes, I meant umbellifer, I was thinking umbellifer as I wrote and I had
a picture of a typical umbellifer in my mind. I have no idea why it came
out as compositae!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Sue

"Sacha" wrote
We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden
there was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high,
growing in a fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked
remarkably like young Eucalyptus leaves. snip

I'm just reading her 'Dry Garden' book, courtesy of Kay's recent offer, and
she briefly mentions a plant that may be the one.
Parahebe perfoliata "whose stems of glaucous circular leaves are
reminiscent of some Eucalyptus species. This plant comes from Australia
which does not surprise me."
There's a pic of it in my RHS Plants and Flowers which looks like your
description. It's also known as Veronica perfoliata.

Sue

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue
writes

"Sacha" wrote
We visited Beth Chatto's garden last Tuesday and in the gravel garden
there was a plant we didn't recognise. It was about 9" to 12" high,
growing in a fair-sized clump and had perfoliate leaves which looked
remarkably like young Eucalyptus leaves. snip

I'm just reading her 'Dry Garden' book, courtesy of Kay's recent offer, and
she briefly mentions a plant that may be the one.
Parahebe perfoliata "whose stems of glaucous circular leaves are
reminiscent of some Eucalyptus species. This plant comes from Australia
which does not surprise me."
There's a pic of it in my RHS Plants and Flowers which looks like your
description. It's also known as Veronica perfoliata.

Ha! I *thought* looking in one of her books might give the solution!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Sue

"Sacha" wrote
You are *brilliant*! That is indeed it. And my husband is going to be so
thrilled with himself he'll be unbearable - he was muttering Hebe type
noises as we left. ;-) Thank you very much.

Glad to help. Must be synchronicity in action or something, since I'd never
heard of it before, but as soon as I read the piece in the book it rang
bells about your post.

Sue

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Sue

"Kay Easton" wrote
Ha! I *thought* looking in one of her books might give the solution!

It's a very useful book. :-)
I definitely will have to go and have a look at her garden soon.

Sue